cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bilyana1609

Day 11 and sore throat

I am not sure it's the lozenges or just some weird post-stop smoking symptom, but it is annoying. I have been feeling this last 2 - 3 day, maybe I take too many lozenges? (I also use the patch) 

I bought mints to reduce the lozenges to a minimum, but I don't think this helped, just made me more jittery so I went back to using lozenges in difficult times .I still have crazings every 10-15 minutes.. so that's a lot of mints during the day. I was actually thinking - what if I get these sore throat lozenges?  instead of mints?  

I also read other people also got a sore throat but looks like it happen almost immediately, not in the second week. if you remember how you felt I would appreciate sharing your experience. 

Otherwise, I feel ok and healthy, I have energy. I sleep way more than normal at night (will sleep even more if I do not need to wake up for work)

I do try to exercise a bit (walk 2 x 15-20 min every day), because I was a total couch potato..  might not sound much, but my prior walking was probably from the kitchen to the bedroom, so that 15-20 min is a LOT for me and I do get quite tired and my pulse goes way up ...

I am still thinking of smoking day and night. I am still unconsciously sitting at the outside table I used to smoke a few times a day (and ask myself - hmmm what you are doing here? and going back inside). 

But I am resiting. I feel like crying and sorry for myself, but I'm positive over time it will get better... 

and it did get better. I do not think about smoking every 5 minutes. Its more like every 15 to 20 minutes.. 

and I do not want to smoke while Im walking lol 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bilyana1609

It's actually day 12, I lost count haha.  I am not really counting.. its always one more day. (more like one more hour)

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@bilyana1609 Great that you've started walking.  Beginning slowly is the way to do it as you gradually increase your time.  It's such a great way to ride a crave.

You're early in your quit so things will improve. .  Even though the first three days are usually the worse for the physical withdrawal, it can take 3 - 4 weeks for  the nicotine to gradually be gone from you body.

What else are you doing to help with you cravings?  Deep breathing and other activities to keep busy really help. 

As for the sore throat, there can be different causes.    It can be a side effect of the lozenges--are you following the directions?  One of the many withdrawal symptoms  includes a sore throat.  "Drink water, chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free candy to ease dry mouth and sore throat."   Doesn't appear 11 days into your quit it too late to develop a sore throat.  If it continues too long, check with doctor to be sure it's not something else.

You're doing great on 11 days.  Be proud of yourself and be patient with yourself as your body heals.

Barb

0 Kudos