cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

michalrokah

Dissapointment

So. I'm so disappointed with me. Started smoking again 6 months ago (after a 5 year clean and happy time), started with 1 or 2 a day, ended with a pack a day. .  Last weekend I read the Allen Carr book again and smoked my last cig on Saturday. I was good for 2 days, but the last two days were a living nightmare. In my head? I know I'm killing myself, that I have no benefit from cigarettes, I do not work out when I smoke, have no motivation, I am depressed. And after all this, I bought a pack today. so so weak. and it gives me nothing. I smoked, and felt the relaxation, but know it gives me nothing. I do not know what else to do, I can't win this. Just thought I'd share with folks that get this frustration.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I am so sorry that you are disappointed in yourself.  It takes a lot to get motivated when you let yourself down but you have come to the right place to get a new boost.  Reading Carr's book is a start but you have to go a step further and commit to NOPE. (Not one puff ever)  No matter what is happening.  I suggest that you start from the beginning to plan to prepare to protect.  Protecting the quit is the most important part of the process.  It is more difficult to go from A to Z than A to B.  So take it one day at a time, one step.  Here is some more info to point you to a new direction.

.Education is the key to a successful quit. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started.

michalrokah

Thank you, I am happy I found this place, where I am understood, including my mistakes. I'm going to start the reading and my new battle, bright and early tomorrow. This relapse today did absolutely nothing for me. I should remember this feeling. 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Sorry.  michalrokah  It is ok.  Just jump back on to freedom, as soon as you can:)  Try quit.com

Knowledge is truly power.  Whyqyit.com as so much info.  no joining involved. 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

whyquit.com is the correct website. 

elvan

So sorry that you are struggling so...after five years quit, I cannot imagine how disappointed you have to be to have started smoking again.  My favorite mantra when I quit...on this site, was NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  You cannot smoke just one "they travel in packs." I felt love and support here and after over four years, I am still coming here every day unless I cannot because life gets in the way.  You CAN do this, you have to be willing to go through the hard times and know that they will pass and that YOU will be stronger for it.  You will feel better about yourself and you will feel empowered to help others.  I really think that education about this addiction is a HUGE key and not getting complacent with your quit is also vital to keeping it.  I suggest that you make a plan...there are many suggestions and paths on the page where you sign in.  Expect that it is not going to be easy, expect that there will be roadblocks, there will be times when the addiction tries to pull you back in.  Staying close to a site like this one has been the most important thing for me.  Please remember that the feeling of "relaxation" that you got when you smoked that cigarette was precisely the same feeling that a heroin addict gets as he or she puts that needle into a vein.  It is the addiction telling you that you feel relaxed and that relaxation lasts only as long as the drug is at a high enough level in your body to keep you comfortable.  It is so not worth it.  I smoked for 47 years...now, I have COPD, I had to have both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed.  I am short of breath with the least exertion...I am on oxygen at night.  I KNOW that I have shortened my life, I KNOW that my time with my children and my grandchildren is limited...I am doing everything I can to take care of myself now...I work out, I eat well, I come here, I ALLOW myself to FEEL and I don't shove my feelings down with cigarettes.  Finally, after all of these years, I know that it is okay to feel.  I really hope you join us and restart your journey, you have a lot to offer to others.  We are here, my friend...we all want you to succeed.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

michalrokah

Wow Ellen, you are an inspiration. I wish I knew of this group before I bought the pack yesterday. My first relapse, 6 months ago, started with a puff here and there and got me here, hooked again, and obsessing day and night, that I want a cigarette, and when I do, that it will kill me. I am determined, I will read more of what all you amazing people offered and pointed to me, and I am going to quit, and be happy. This group of people gives me much hope. Thank you, and take care of you.

anaussiemom

Why do you want to quit?   Do you have a list, written out?  Put it next to computer or where you sit.     If you did it for 5yrs you can go the distance.

michalrokah   I know you can!!!

Hugs Kim

michalrokah

I am writing, trying to remind myself that my not-smoking self was so much better, spontaneous, happy, healthy. I write and I am motivated and then I fall and this feeling of sadness just won't let go until I take a cigarette. It's deep sadness, like nothing will ever be right again. I have become obsessed, and hoping this group is the first step to clear my head at least and bring this whole thing to human size.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Listen to these members,educate,plan,prepare and set a new Quit date.    You've proven you can go the distance.    Take the Not One Puff Ever!!!! Ellen is right smokes travel in packs!!!!!

Do Not Try to Medicate your disappointment with tobacco.   It never works.......The Road To Freedom Waits For You

Everyone will support you.   Prairie