cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Trigger

I do believe that each day offers something new to learn.  I didn't realize until now, but anytime somebody says anything about going outside to let their dog out I feel a craving.  It's so strange, but now that it just happened I thought I would jot it down.  I did not smoke in my house or my car, so I would go outside on my deck.  It just so happened that my dog would want to go out each time I did.  Now I understand why this is a trigger for me.  

20 Replies
Sandy-9-17-17

Yep, I was the same way, no smoke in car or house, but dog would always go out and I'd follow!  The funny 

thing was that he would come back up on the deck, and as soon as he would breath my smoke, he would start

sneezing like crazy!  He didn't like it!  

MichelleDiane

So funny.  My dog sneezed too, but she would just move to a different part of the deck.  I spent way too much time out there.  Glad that my dog isn't sneezing and I'm not freezing.

Sandy-9-17-17

Same here, especially since it is so cold out there this year!  

maryfreecig

True tales of quitting. Thanks for sharing.

YoungAtHeart

Think of some ELSE to do while you are out with your dog!  Maybe march in place, or do a few jumping jacks, or watch the passing clouds, or make a snow angel, or......................

Just don't stand there and think about smoking.  Not good at all, at all!

Nancy

indingrl

Cool I too love to discover the root cause of why i do what i do or thoughts my way of old habit thinking or old ways of giving power to my feelings and then when I pray and take that inventory of past or present or future fears i discover the root and ask God to root it out of me and teach me love roots in me in Jesus name amen please take what helps and let go of the rest to be helpful is my only aim.... thanks for your honest blog of discovery of self i do appreciate the help to remain quit and ever learning abd sharing the hope... May God bless you in Jesus name for giving me hope in knowing i am not the only one ever learning about me and keep moving forward!

dwwms

Yep - it was not only to take the dog out. Seems since I quit, I don't want to stay out as long as I did before either. I have to remind myself to give the dog enough time to take care of business. Before - it was stay out long enough to smoke a cigarette!

Doug

JACKIE1-25-15

It is good to know what your triggers are.  Knowing gives you the opportunity to plan and prepare for them. 

I empathise with you MichelleDiane! Mine was reading - books, magazines, newspapers, anything. Gor a bibliophile it was tough. But my BecomeanEX Friends showed me how to brave the trigger and overcome!

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2010/03/30/i-want-my-reading-habit-back?sr=search&searchId=50e4c13d-b76b...

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2010/04/05/reading-is-fundamental?sr=search&searchId=a898cb0c-0c59-4f5d-...

You can do this! Create new habits and memories with your dog.