cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Trigger

I do believe that each day offers something new to learn.  I didn't realize until now, but anytime somebody says anything about going outside to let their dog out I feel a craving.  It's so strange, but now that it just happened I thought I would jot it down.  I did not smoke in my house or my car, so I would go outside on my deck.  It just so happened that my dog would want to go out each time I did.  Now I understand why this is a trigger for me.  

20 Replies
elvan

The deck was my smoking place too...fortunately, I quit in January during a polar vortex and there was no way I was going out there.  When the weather got better, I changed everything around outside, moved the chair, got rid of any remaining ashtrays and the butt can and made it a new place to go outside.  Our feral cat hung out there so it was our time together when I went out there, I realized after I quit that I could STILL go out there, just not smoke.  I could go out and take deep breaths, I could pet the cat, I could take "breaks" without smoking.  You can too.

Ellen

fabulousat50

I too, would go out on the deck never smoked in my house. I  look at it now and think how crazy I was to go out in the freezing weather like now it’s single digits but I did,cold, rain,snow didn’t matter. There no way I am ever doing that again. I was just stupid,. Have a great smoke free day.

JoAnne

Fabulousat50

Day 3

MichelleDiane

So many things in common as former smokers.  I knew I wasn't to only looney tune out there.  I really do enjoy going outside and when it warms up a little (anything above -2 degrees) I will go outside and watch the beautiful Cardinals.  Hey another trigger.  My sister, her husband, and her dog that dropped by unexpectedly and parked herself on my couch when I was working, so I walked in after a long day at work to see two people sleeping and a traumatized dog (They drove from Tennessee).  Talk about challenges.  I made it through the visit without smoking knowing that smoking would not change a thing.  I waited for them to leave and cleaned my fish tank.  I feel proud of myself for not smoking today with or without triggers and challenges.  Thank you all for the support and deck/dog stories (and cats).  Have a fantabulous smoke free night and speak to you all in the morning.  Another day WON.

Good deal Michelle. Find things to do that you would never associate with smoking & stay busy.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

MichelleDiane

Thanks M n, I am doing that a minute at a time.

elvan

MichelleDiane  Great job dealing with the occupied couch, there are so many things to do that do not involve smoking and NOW you have a clean fish tank.

fabulousat50  Plan to rearrange your deck and make it a place of peace...make it a SMOKE FREE place of peace once the weather gets better.

XOXO,

Ellen

MichelleDiane

Ellen,

I am so touched by everyone's support.  Thank you for your validation and encouragement.

-Michelle

fabulousat50

yes when the weather gets better her in new england i might see my deck again in april/may here in massachusettes we get slammed with lots of snow, have a big storm for tomorro, so already know i do not have to go to work so i will be spending a lot of my day on this site reading and posting look forward to a day at home in my pj's relaxing.

elvan

It really makes me angry to think about all of the time I gave up with my family while I was smoking and all of the time I will be giving up with them because I smoked for so long...makes me very angry with myself, not that that is productive.  Coming HERE is productive, reading blogs and offering support based upon my own experience and the experiences that others have shared is seriously one of the most rewarding things we can do...ALL of us, no matter where we are in our journeys, we all have something to offer.

What a lovely bunch of newbies we have!

Ellen

NeedToBe

Patio in summer, garage in winter. Crazy when I think bout how I'd be standing just outside the patio door, smoking while my family sat just inside the door in the kitchen.

Good luck!

0 Kudos