cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

gaining weight and quitting

Ive been struggling to loose weight now ever since i quit smoking. The primary reason being every day i used to walk from my desk to the smoking zone which is almost 500 meters away 3-4 times a day which was an integral part of my daily step count. Without smoking im sitting on my desk the whole day except the time i go to see clients. My daily steps came down from 3k - 5k  to 750 meters a day. I do run at the gym 3-4 times a week but its not enough to keep me from loosing weight. Now i know people will say increase your activity by taking brisk walks and runs but the challenge is how can one just go out for a walk or run during office hours? People will think after i quit smoking i lost my marbles. 

20 Replies
jbliesmer

Why not walk the distance you walked to go smoke just in the opposite direction?

ranjitthewolf

The challenge is no one here is walking around without a reason. Believe it or not my company didn't have any problems with employees smoking. So even if someone is not at the desk during work hours and is at the smoking zone, it was ok. But if someone is loitering around or going to the shop during the work hours, they have to go to the HR for an hour of lecture.

0 Kudos
elvan

Can you just get up and go get a cup of water...is there a water cooler?  You might preemptively approach HR and tell them that walking is part of your quit smoking routine, they should be happy to hear that since it reduces the time you are likely to be sick.  I had someone tell me when I started here that it is a lot easier to lose the few pounds you might gain than it is to drag an oxygen tank around with you wherever you go.  

If you can't walk at work, go for a walk in the morning BEFORE work or in the evening AFTER work.  Weight gain is not a reason to return to smoking!

YoungAtHeart

Maybe you can take shorter, faster walks someplace else more often?  You won't need to be gone as long each time if you walk briskly......swing your arms as you walk to help get your heart rate up.  It takes about 15 minutes to smoke a cigarette, so now maybe 8 eight minute walks instead?

I have read you have to consume 200 less calories a day after you quit smoking just to say even.  Smoking did increase your metabolism and you've lost that.

Don't worry so much in these early days about your weight.  You will have saved enough money to join a gym and will have more energy, as well, when you are further along in your quit.  I think you will find then that you also will want to eat healthier...a lot of people end up doing that when they quit.

You are doing GREAT - don't sweat the small stuff - quitting smoking is a BIG deal - and you are doing it!

Nancy

Roller831

I understand completely!  Instead of walking to have a smoke, I now make sure to walk at least 250 steps per hour.  I force myself to get up from my desk and walk.  I have been a member of Weight Watchers and follow that program so it is possible to quit smoking AND lose weight.  I also allowed myself the first month not to worry about the weight because quitting was more important!

You are doing great!  Give yourself a break for a bit and then get the exercise and eating back on track!

bonniebee

Why not just make up the steps after work ? Since you have a sedentary job your mind may be tired after work but your body is probably ready to go ! Thirty   minutes a day at a brisk pace will probably help you a lot.

I did not worry to much about losing weight in the first few months I just tried not to gain to much by exercising and eating right I gained about 8-10 pounds because the bodies metabolism changes but  then  I lost it gradually .Now 2 1/2 years later I weigh about 5 pounds less then my before quitting weight .   

vanlil

Above all do deep breathing..............A LOT!  Just think of all the "inhaling" you did when smoking.  Believe it or not the Oxygen will get into the fat cells.

Lillian (vanlil) 418 dof  

PS:  I am also a Pilate's instructor and even then I put on 5#'s.  Think of it as pure "muscle." BUT my face now has rosy cheeks because the blood flow is PURE.

I purposely park far away from my office so I have to walk a ways to the building and I walk the perimeter of the building checking in with people as I go along. So I am busy in a way and getting some steps in. 

ranjitthewolf

This is Africa my friend. here if you park the car far and go to work it will look like this when you come back.

shutterstock_277478681.jpg

0 Kudos