cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lewis65

Quitting and Weight Gain!!!! : (((

So, the above is pretty inevitable for alot of people who quit smoking (one of the BIGGEST excuses I made NOT to quit for so long!).  It's been 2 weeks now since I did quit, and all I want to do is EAT!!!  I was an overweight kid and teenager and then I began smoking and lost alot of weight.  I used cigarettes for a replacement to my addiction for food, and now I'm finding I'm going back to the food.  I started exercising like crazy to boost my matabolism and omitted alcohol (a major smoking trigger), but have put on 4 pounds in two weeks. Aside from the obvious, how can I get this "out of my system" so I won't become too overweight again?....will it taper off???

Gretchen  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
icandoit8

i hope s because that is my biggest fear!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
meggs84

Fill up on water before you eat.  Snack on healty food like carrot sticks, apples, celery.  Learn to knit.  You can use that as you replacement addiction.  Chew gum. 

With the taper off question, I think it's different for everyone.  Some people it does, but with others it doesn't. 

If you're burning more calories then normal, your body is going to be hungry (something about a survival insticts), so keep that in mind.  You don't want to burn too many calories in a day, starving yourself will only help you lose wieght for a short time, then it comes back. 

0 Kudos
snowwhite

Being hungry  I think is a universal withdrawal symtom. Your brain chemicals are taking a nosedive and eating is a surefire way to raise them back up to a comfortable level. Don't let yourself get hungry right now. It will intensify the urge to smoke. It is better to have a few small treats every few hours to give you a boost that to go back to cigarettes. If you have the will power to quit smoking, you definately have the will power to lost 10 or so pounds when the cravings stabilize. You are doing your brain a favor when you give it a little treat. Nictotine replacement is the best in my opinion to help with the cravings. It helps stabilize the brain chemistry. Don't worry--I quit every time I had a child and the cravings will subside and your weight will go back to normal after a few months. Keep going.

0 Kudos
kwandrie

That isn't  true for everybody.  My neighbor died recently.  He gained over 150 pounds without being able to lose it, when he quit smoking.  He was complaining about it 10 years after he quit.

0 Kudos

On the upside, I have read several articles that link smoking to belly fat. When you quit smoking (if you can train yourself to exercise and eat well, of course), you will have an easier time losing your potbelly. This is because smoking increases your levels of cortisol, making your body more likely to accumulate visceral, belly fat.

This is good news for me. No matter how strenuously I've exercised and dieted (while smoking), I found it impossible to lose belly fat. Looking forward to shedding my belly!

0 Kudos
lewis65

I HOPE so "monkeyandgrass" because that's where I gain all my weight---HATE it!

0 Kudos