cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mandy131300

Quitting sucks

I got sick with a really bad cold 5 days ago and didnt even want to smoke for a day.  The next night I wanted a smoke but told myself I already didn't have a smoke for over 24 hours so I might as well quit.  The first 3 days weren't that bad, but I am feeling better and I really want a smoke.  I thought that the first 2 days were the hardest but they were nothing compared to the 4th and 5th day.  I keep telling myself that the first week is the hardest and that I am almost there and not to smoke because I will have to start all over again.  My husband smokes and he won't try and quit with me and is the most unsupportive person.  He keeps asking me to go outside and smoke with him and tells me I won't quit forever anyways so to just give up.  The only thing that saved me last night was that it was freezing and I didn't want to go outside.  So hopefullly I can stick with quitting and ignore my unsupportive husband. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
roosmom

it's true I got pneumonia that is what stopped me,

I went on the patch for 15 days, then took it off, the patch did really help take the edge off

0 Kudos
elmntfire

My girlfriend's been through that several times where an illness just knocked the urge right out of her.  I tried to be supportive and not smoke around her, but eventually we both broke down and wound up smoking that first cigarette after the attempt together.  I blame myself for her picking it back up, but I know that we both made that decision.  Keep on keepin on and try not to let your unsupportive husband get to you.  If you've made it your battle to beat smoking, then keep fighting it, no matter what.

0 Kudos
jdc1953

It is hard having someone around who is unwilling to do this with you and is not supportive.  I have to say my husband quit while I was still smoking.  I tried to stay away from him with cigarettes.  He was a 3 pack a day smoker.  That was 8 years ago.  If he can do it anyone can.  I quit on December 26th and am really glad I did.  You hang in there!

J

0 Kudos

My hubby is still smoking, too. I am down to 12- 13 cigs a day from 2 packs a day. My hubby is still smoking about the same amount (2 packs a day). Next week is my quit day (April 9th), and I am seriously thinking about asking him to smoke outside.

I need to overlook the fact that he is going to keep smoking, and look out for myself- keep track of my own behaviors and cravings. If he isn't ready to quit I can't force him, but I can make it easier on myself by asking him not to smoke around me.

0 Kudos