cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Dani_2017

Any suggestions on removing cig smell?

Good morning everyone and happy Sunday. 

I just wanted to start by saying thank you to everyone who responded to my post yesterday/sent me messages. Y'all are so supportive, and it is so nice to have a network of people behind me. Today is day 4 for me and it's much better than day 3. 

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas on how to remove the smell of cigs from your home. I can't seem to get the lingering smell out no matter what I do. 

Anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks for reading! 

Tags (1)
21 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You may actually have to do a deep, thorough housecleaning!  I'm talking shampooing all the carpets, washing/drycleaning all the curtains, washing all the bed and bathroom linens, maybe even washing the walls and the tables (yup - even the TABLES and wood things STINK-I know from my Mom's (who chainsmoked in every room of her apartment) stuff ). You can also put slices of apple or bowls of vinegar in the less smoked in areas if they smell, too. If you only smoked in one room or area, just doing that should do the trick, but if you smoked everywhere, you have a job in front of you.  The good news is that it will help to keep you focused on never smoking in there again once you've done all this work.  The OTHER good news is that you have extra time you used to waste smoking in which to DO it!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings - but it is what it is!

Nancy

Diannnnn

Pretty much what Nancy said. You can't mask it, just think about hotel rooms. Even though most have been non-smoking for years, I have walked in some that I could still smell the tar and nicotine. It soaks in and just won't leave.

I have always heard cleaning with vinegar is very effective. And that means walls and ceilings too. Light fixtures, drapes....pretty much every hard surface. Washing or febreezing anything fabric as well. Opening all the windows as weather allows.

After all that, you'll probably never even want to hear the word cigarette!

Keep rockin'!

Dian

Dani_2017

Thank you both, this is helpful information. All of the smell seems to be only in the kitchen (where my smoking area was). I definitely have some work in front of me though. 

Diannnnn

That's always seemed like one of the easier rooms to clean for me, especially if you have a dishwasher. Or like cooked cabbage.  That god- awful smell would probably overwhelm everything!

0 Kudos

Hard surfaces are easier to clean than fabrics and carpets so maybe it's good that it's a kitchen rather than a bedroom or living room. I used all of the above especially vinegar but I also used baking soda and/or borax. Both baking soda and borax are alkaline and vinegar is acidic - they sort of cancel each other out. 

Dani_2017

So you used baking soda and borax and scrubbed out the surfaces? 

oops! Sorry! I stepped away from my Computer...

Yes, and it smells better if you don't like the smell of vinegar.

Dani_2017

Thanks, Thomas!  It's a work in progress now 

if you smoked in your car, put am apple cut in half facing up under the front seats and change them out as necessary.