cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thompson_

The physical symptoms of withdrawal

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms?

- heightened anxiety

- tight chest/strange chest feelings 

- horrible chesty cough 

- tingly feet 

it's freaking me out a bit but will really make me feel better if I know that other people experience this too!

also, if this did happen to you, how long did it last?

Tags (1)
25 Replies

Yes, all of these symptoms can be a normal withdrawal but it could also be many other things. Please go see your Doctor. I have always recommended that you Quit Smoking under the supervision of a Doctor. It is a major change to your body. Get it checked out and then please come here and tell us what you learned. We Care!

elvan

I felt all of those things as well, I was also recovering from pneumonia and I had been very ill.  I didn't quit smoking under a doctor's supervision...I had come to this site for months before my forever quit.  I had built a quit kit...decided what I would do instead of smoking when a trigger occurred.  I did not use any medication or NRT, I was too sick to even think about it.  After about a week smoke free, I came to becomeanex and I got more support and love than I could ever have imagined.

Welcome to EX, let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Ellen

elvan

By the way, when did you quit?

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I did not get those particular withdrawal symptoms but we are all different and may have our own unique set I had some strange symptoms that some people got and some on here never got for example I had a tightness in my jaw that felt very uncomfortable I would say it lasted about a month another thing that began around a month into my quit was a feeling in my chest and gut of emptiness this was annoying but bearable as I hung onto this site and NOPE and SINAO ! I think the hardest physical withdrawal symptom for me was an abundance of canker sores in my mouth that was aggravated by gum or hard candy even if it was sugar free I think it was caused by my nervous system and the change I hung in there and finally I was back to a new normal !!! So please know that your symptoms will stop ......hang on to NOPE and positive thinking and this Ex -Community sayings quit smoking.jpgsayings congrats 4.gif and you will soon be enjoying many more benefits of quitting smoking !

Barbara145

Hi Bonnie B.  Good to hear from you. Hope life is being good to you.

0 Kudos
Giulia

I certainly had a tightness in my gut, an empty kind of an ache.  I think anxiety increase is a normal part of quitting as it's a major behavioral change.  We tend to feel like a fish out of water for a while.  I didn't have a cough (though I've read of many people who got one when they first quit).  Tingly feet is a new one.  You posted that blog three days ago.  How are things going for you now?  Have those symptoms decreased?  Keep us posted, will you?  (Part of your cheering section....)

c2q

Hi Thompson_‌ - you pose some good questions:

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms?

- heightened anxiety

- tight chest/strange chest feelings 

- horrible chesty cough 

- tingly feet 

I had all these symptoms too when I quit. Some people may be surprised by the tingling feet, but I had them too, along with headaches and dizziness.  These symptoms are caused by your blood vessels opening back up, and the increased blood flow when you get nicotine out of your system. Congratulations! Your body is already starting the healing process!

The coughing and tight chest are from congestion in your lungs - also a good sign and one that many people experience, like you and me. When we smoked, tobacco slowed the movement of the tiny hairs that line our lungs and help remove mucus. When you stop smoking, the hairs (the cilia) get freed up and begin to do their job, pulling mucus out of your lungs. Be sure to drink lots of water and avoid things like alcohol, coffee and sodas that make you dehydrated, because that will make your congestion worse.

And the anxiety - yikes! Luckily, after 3 days, that's probably better by now too.

How are you doing? It's great to have you here. 

Yes, had all of these except the anxiety. Had that before I quit & It stopped when I quit smoking. Haven't had an episode in almost 13 years now. But these things will desist & you'll start to feel a new normal. It's gonna be great.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

Barbara145

I had them all too.  You are doing this. Congrats.  It takes a while but not smoking is the best thing ever.