cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thompson_

The physical symptoms of withdrawal

Has anyone else suffered these symptoms?

- heightened anxiety

- tight chest/strange chest feelings 

- horrible chesty cough 

- tingly feet 

it's freaking me out a bit but will really make me feel better if I know that other people experience this too!

also, if this did happen to you, how long did it last?

Tags (1)
25 Replies
cb0

yes! This is happening to my now as I quit 2-3 days ago and it started happening about 6 hours after I took my last hit (was used to hitting the vape 1-2 times a minute most waking hours of the day). I have been chewing a piece of nicotine gum about once every 2-4 hours to help relieve the chest tightness and anxiety (that combo is not fun) 

Barbscloud

Welcome @cb0    I just saw you created a new post--I'll take a look at that.    I just wanted you to aware this was an old post.  It has great information, but you many not receive a response.

Barb

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Any doubts you may have about your withdrawal symptoms, please contact your medical professional...We are not Doctors.  The reason, when I quit I thought my cough and congestion were withdrawal symptoms and found out I had an “upper respiratory and sinus infection”...took two rounds of antibiotics, lots of steroids because I let it get bad...always better to be “safe then sorry”...let us know how you are doing...oh I forgot ... for breathing / anxiety issues try the following exercise....

~ Colleen 860 DOF 

pastedImage_2.gif

Liddle-lori

Same thing happened to me but… I did go to the doctors 3 times over 6 weeks since I quit smoking and was told these were a result of having quit 2 months previously.

Unfortunately, I was really in heart failure. caused by a viral infection. My doctor and I were so excited that I had quit smoking that we didn’t think to explore any other possibilities.

I only mention this so that if you're symptoms last unusually long push to have some testing done. I remained nonsmoking for 4 years but started again.

I using medication and I am down to 2 cigarettes a day with a quit date of June 10 th.  Good luck being strong and brave in this journey.

Lori

Hi I know this doesn’t have to necessarily with quitting smoking but I’m quitting right now due to an upper respiratory infection and sinus infection like you.  How long were you on steroids for and what type of steroids also how long until you got your breathing back to normal?

Barbscloud

@jesse_pascale99 Welcome to the Ex.   I'm going to mention @sweetplt .   She's not on the site as much, but hopefully she'll see this.

Barb

sweetplt

Hi @jesse_pascale99 

It took me about 3 months to feel back to myself.  I used the antibiotics and the small packet of steroids where you go up and then down…they had me on the steroids twice during that two months…I also had to use a maintenance inhaler during those three months.  I let it go for two long until I started seeing the Doctor.  I even slept sitting up.  Please note I am an asthmatic so that makes things worse.  If you doubt anything with your symptoms, go back to the Doctor.  Be your own advocate…however, the best thing you can do for you to heal, is quit…and you are doing that, keep it going.  Keep close to the support site.

Sending good healing thoughts your way…Colleen 1746 DOF

Ps Take care of YOU…~

0 Kudos
indingrl

1618013884549672775410377717138.jpg

 Hope your having a good n.o.p.e. Sunday💖

0 Kudos
beebe65

I had the anxiety, moving and cleaning and not smoking all at the same time, but i got through it. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@beebe65 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 17 days of success.  Good to see you reaching out to support other quitters.   

Have you been reading material on the site?  There's lots of good information, advice and support to help with you quit.  We're all in this journey together, so reach out anytime we can be of assistance.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb