cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jkcw27

If not cold turkey than what cut down methods?

I have tried to quit cold turkey several times. Major anxiety, confusion, and obsession. I have been on here reading alot. I did the smoking course I found. I just got on Wellbutrin a little over a week ago.  I don't want to smoke the entire cigarette it seems. I am just wondering if the cold turkey method is a fail (which I believe it is) what are other suggestions for quitting. Do I cut down a cigarette a day? I am trying to only smoke half. I could keep doing that forever though. I tried the gum and pouches. They burned my throat. I won't give up. 

6 Replies
Barbscloud

@jkcw27 How you quit is what works best for you.  I also used Welbutrin along with nicotrol inhalers.  You normally continue to smoke for 1 - 2 weeks after you've begun taking the Welburtin. 

Cutting down for a week prior to my quit worked for me, while other's suggest delaying the time until the next cigarette.   There are other NRT aids such as the patch and lozenges.  Have you read some of these posts by the Mayo Clinic. 

Trying to decide on a short-acting nicotine replac... - EX Community

Better Than Turkey: Using NRT to Manage Cravings - EX Community

Navigating Nicotine Replacement: What are the opti... - EX Community

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. There is no magic pill that will make your quit smoking. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it.

How else can we help?

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

I hope the Wellbutrin works for you, as it has worked for others.  Every person is different and so is every quit.  I did quit cold turkey, and I still had the confusion (lack of focus) and obsession.  So, it is ok for you to smoke while you take the Wellbutrin then.  How long will you take the Wellbutrin and continue to smoke, I guess that is your question.   I thought the whole purpose of an nrt was to help you quit smoking.  I may be as confused as you are, but I know you will find the answers you need.  As for cutting back, I did cut back to 3 cigs a day, before I set my quit date, it was a natural progression not planned.  Not everyone cuts back or tapers off, either.  Quit day 304.

excoach
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in to clear up something- NRT stands for nicotine replacement therapy-the patch, gum, lozenge, nasal spray and nicotine inhaler all contain nicotine  and the idea behind them is that they safely replace the nicotine from tobacco or vaping while someone quits.

Wellbutrin (also named Zyban or Bupropion) and Chantix do not contain nicotine. Here's more info on how to use Wellbutrin-https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-medications/prescription-medications/how-to-use-bupropion/ and it sounds like it's working if you are noticing you are smoking less or finding it less enjoyable.  

~Margaret, EX Coach Team 

Barbscloud

@excoach Thank you!

Barb

maryfreecig

Personally I believe that no method works all on it's own. But that's my opinion. I believe very strongly that it is the decision to quit that matters most, what approach is used to quit varies depending on the individual. When I was planning to quit, I knew deep down inside that I wouldn't be smoking anymore and I felt upset about that--even though I was deciding to call an end to my smoking. I didn't think about a method though--what I did prior to quitting was decide on what I'd do for the times ahead when my mind would try to trick me. 

I prepared for excuses, temptations, cravings, associations...well, I did the best I could to plan. I think that's all that anyone can do. I kept looking at my smoking and what it was doing to me and I kept looking at what I wasn't doing to quit...

In two and a half weeks, my plan was in place. My plan was tacked together by good ideas from any quit source that appealed to me. But my plan was an aid to my quit, not the cause of it. My decision had to come first...like so many successful quitters here, I resolved to do whatever it took to stay away from smoking. Whatever. No ifs. 

It was tough. It isn't tough for everyone, but it is for a lot of us. I found myself to be the biggest baby. I belly ached a lot. Only back then, I thought life had mistreated me. Today, I understand that with years of addiction, I'd forgotten how to live without smoking. It took time. There are so many quitters here with similar stories.

So what method? My advice is you. You are your method out, everything you choose to do such as medication, whatever is a helpful aid to you succeeding at your goal to put addiction behind you. Doable. And the journey gives back so much more than a moments relief to an addict. 

Just my point of view. When I was preparing to quit, anything that I didn't accept as good guidance, I tossed to the side.

Yes you can, one day at a time.

8f772996c438f869e186ed84640c96f9.jpg316002178_462025602721843_2876824122572420023_n.jpg313137687_445208214403582_360935064905514522_n.jpg

sgambino

Hi, how is the Wellbutrin? I just started is 2 weeks ago.