cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

asimeonov

smoking cessation programs

Hello, 

My employer recently imposed a smoking cessation program at work where they charge smokers a $20 fee per paycheck (I know, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me). Anyway, to avoid this fee, you have to take a smoking cessation program and show a certificate of completion. I have no intention of quitting smoking, and what I do at home outside of work is nobody's business, so to subject me to a fee for doing this is preposterous. Their rationale is that smokers have higher insurance costs, which is a bull argument because so do very obese people and they dont have any extra insurance charges; but I digress. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is from Chicago and knows of any local programs that I may look into. It doesn't matter if they are free or if they have a charge. I literally just want to sign up, get a certificate for completing the program so I can submit it to work. I dont plan on going to any of their meetings because I dont want to quit smoking at this time. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
65 Replies
Giulia

I smoked clove cigarettes for a time thinking they were less harmful.  Then I found out differently.  We are meant to inhale plain old AIR.  Period.  

GyorgyiM

My favorite "plain old Air" is freshly cut grass!....Now that's my definition of a good addiction! 

Deep Breaths......Ahhhhhhh

Smiles...Foto

MichelleDiane

Beautiful

Gma_Bernie

Probably not, but that does not mean that it can't be enjoyable. I LOVED

smoking, that's what made it so hard to quit. If I get to be 80 (which I

doubt, since I've been baking my lungs for 45 years), I'll take up the

habit again and sit and rock in my chair and smoke.

Bernie

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Bernie Gma_Bernie‌, the more you hang out here, the more you will learn about what our "love" of smoking really means.  I used to say the same thing, but never took it one step farther and really understand what gave me actual pleasure of smoking.  It is exactly like any other addiction; it is a chemical dependency, and the act of smoking is satisfying the "pleasure" receptors in our brain, making us "fall in love" with smoking.

I hope you are going to get to the point in your quit when you will not be dreaming of being 80 and smoking, but being 80 and be healthy to play with your grand-kids, or take walks in the woods, and really enjoy the smell of the nature, either in spring, or fall or whatever other season is your favorite!

Ask our peers here, it took me a while to adopt NOPE, it felt as it was taking away my freedom of choice "are you telling me I can never have another smoke???", it took me as long as it took to finally let it sink in: I am an addict, and another cigarette will re-start the cycle of addiction.  So now, after a little over 2 years I KNOW NOPE to be the only guarantee I am not going back to hurt myself ever again.

Gma_Bernie

Daniela,

Sorry, but I disagree. Addiction s can be pleasurable. But, correct, you

always pay a price.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018, 7:30 PM Daniela-3-11-2016 <

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I have to say.....I use to say the same thing, why quit what I am enjoying!   

But when I was told I have spots on my lungs, I asked why am I smoking when in reality it is killing me!  I have children and grand children I love to do things with, and how am I going to do those things while trying to smoke as I carry around an oxygen tank with a tube running in my nose!? 

Now I ask myself why I literally paid so much money out of my pocket to make a company who provides something that is in ALL reality killing me!  I hope that you can somehow change your way of thinking!  

Your company is thinking of it's employees best interests as well as the insurance costs being higher for that of a smoker.  I always thought I would die with a cigarette in my hand because I really thought I enjoyed it!  But honestly, I am enjoying so much more in life without smoking!  I was totally missing out by the amount of time I wasted each day smoking!  I wish you the best in your journey, and hope that you can change the way you think!

JACKIE1-25-15

The next stage is to test you for nicotine. May as well quit for your health.  There are obese smokers too. It is  called addictive behavior. There is a time and a season and a reason that you just bumped into this site.  Come join us for a journey to freedom from nicotine. 

karenjones

No, but you do have time to abuse your body.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

asimeonov We don't permit the posting of links to paid programs other than that of our partner Mayo Clinic. You may go to Nicotine Anonymous | Find a Meeting(we're not affiliated with them). Not sure if they offer a certificate for not attending. I assume any legitimate in-person program will not offer a certificate of completion unless you attend.  I hope one day you will consider quitting.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team