cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

asimeonov

smoking cessation programs

Hello, 

My employer recently imposed a smoking cessation program at work where they charge smokers a $20 fee per paycheck (I know, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me). Anyway, to avoid this fee, you have to take a smoking cessation program and show a certificate of completion. I have no intention of quitting smoking, and what I do at home outside of work is nobody's business, so to subject me to a fee for doing this is preposterous. Their rationale is that smokers have higher insurance costs, which is a bull argument because so do very obese people and they dont have any extra insurance charges; but I digress. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is from Chicago and knows of any local programs that I may look into. It doesn't matter if they are free or if they have a charge. I literally just want to sign up, get a certificate for completing the program so I can submit it to work. I dont plan on going to any of their meetings because I dont want to quit smoking at this time. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
65 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

rubyray87 wrote:

I am actually work as a health coach for one of these companies that deliver these Tobacco Cessation programs for employees. Some alternative programs we recognize include National Cancer Institute (Quit line), American Cancer Society (Fresh Start), American Lung Association and American Legacy Foundation.

The American Legacy Foundation is now called Truth Initiative. You're here on our site.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
asimeonov

how do i delete this account?

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

asimeonov wrote:

how do i delete this account?

Per your request I'll disable your account now.  If you want to re-enable in the future please use our contact us page.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Great discussion! I’m not exactly sure how i feel about this. When I was smoking I’m sure I would have been livid! In a way, I do think it’s discrimination and what you do on your own time to your own body is your business. As someone else mentioned above in regards to obesity and diabetes, should the obese be docked for eating fast food and/or candy? I don’t think so but it is a health concern just like smoking.  How is that any different? On the other hand, I do understand the companies thoughts on the financial/insurance side of it. From my understanding though, aren’t employees who smoke already paying a higher premium for their insurance? If that’s the case, I think it’s wrong to deduct an additional $20 per paycheck.

The great news is I don’t have to worry about it because I had my last cigarette 2.5 years ago

MargUcci

It is all civil rights versus employer expense.  State and Federal Civil Rights protected under the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) are valid as long as no other State or Federal laws are infringed upon.  NO employer under any circumstance may remove/surcharge/write rules against or dun your agreed-upon-hire income without signature and/or FORCE you to sign away any civil right that fall under Federal or State constitution as written (Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness) if it is on the books in your State.  Employer is DONE AND TOAST.   An employee must sign for any and all payroll deductions (other than court-ordered garnishments) regardless of employer expense after the fact of agreed-upon hire.  END OF STORY--at least in the state that I live and pay taxes in.  No entity whatsoever can THREATEN a citizen to sign away Federal and/or State protected rights under threat or duress.  What is legal (abortion, alcohol consumption other than operating a vehicle or drunk in public law, same-sex marriage or smoking away from and off employer propeerty) CANNOT be infringed upon by any entity "up to and including termination" unless you signed away your rights upon hire.  Your signature agreed upon hire is key and you can bring unlawfull termination suit within laws of your individual State if your civil rights are violated by force.  

I encourage those who are being pressed (rightfully or wrongfully) to PARTICIPATE in smoking cessation.  Your employer may not have the right to penalize you but you do have the Right to Chose to RIDE THE FREEDOM TRAIN with this group.    

0 Kudos
DiamondB

I don't know it's just something to do. When you'll driving, thinking, on break at work , when you frustrated or angry after sex, pep talk , going through life situations I don't enjoy smoking CIGARETTES at ALL i start smoking a couple year's back first i started black and milds then cigarettes .  I used to hate them . But now I'm trying to kick The HABIT