cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

asimeonov

smoking cessation programs

Hello, 

My employer recently imposed a smoking cessation program at work where they charge smokers a $20 fee per paycheck (I know, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me). Anyway, to avoid this fee, you have to take a smoking cessation program and show a certificate of completion. I have no intention of quitting smoking, and what I do at home outside of work is nobody's business, so to subject me to a fee for doing this is preposterous. Their rationale is that smokers have higher insurance costs, which is a bull argument because so do very obese people and they dont have any extra insurance charges; but I digress. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is from Chicago and knows of any local programs that I may look into. It doesn't matter if they are free or if they have a charge. I literally just want to sign up, get a certificate for completing the program so I can submit it to work. I dont plan on going to any of their meetings because I dont want to quit smoking at this time. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
65 Replies
asimeonov

thank you!

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

I really don't feel replies, of ganging up, on someone is the answer here.   This is a support site. 
Not a cult. 
Not a organized religion.

We are here to help someone if we can. 
  Anyway I guess my answer to the person who started this discussion is:

Contact the people who run this site.    Perhaps Mark EX can direct you.

Many blessings
KIm

Barb102

Kim you know you are my favorite!!!    ❤️

anaussiemom

Thank you Hugs.

Giulia

Here a link to some Chicago resources:  Smoking Cessation Resources Available in Chicago - NBC Chicago 

If you ever DO decide you want to quit - know that you have a team of supporters here who will walk the walk with you.

asimeonov

lol i heard about this website literally from that exact same article. Thanks, but I enjoy it too much. I have box of chantix  at home that I can open up at any time. I just dont feel like quitting yet. 

0 Kudos
Roller831

I am in the Chicago area.  You may want to check out some of the local hospitals as they offer smoking cessation programs.  I do not know if they offer certificates of completion or how much they cost or if they are free.  My company offers a service and you can link up with a Health coach who will provide various resources.

I am honestly curious.  The cost of cigarettes in the Chicago area are pretty steep from around $10 per pack in the city and around $8 pack in the burbs.  I don't think $20 is so punitive given the cost of cigarettes in the area.  Are you paid weekly?

Good luck with whatever your choice is.  We are here when you are ready for us to support you.  I quit using Chantix.  It took me 3 times on Chantix, but I did it.

asimeonov

what I do with my own money is my prerogative. However, its not right, nor fair for an employer to fine me for what I choose to do in my own home. the way they can legally get around this is by providing an on site smoking cessation program which I was initially registered for but could not attend; 2 jobs, and school. so i need more flexible resources 

Roller831

I agree it is your prerogative what you do with your own money.  I merely stated my opinion that I didn't think the $20 was that bad given the cost of cigarettes.  

I also agree it isn't right for an employer to fine you for what you do in your home although some have gotten fired for posting on social media in their spare time.

Unfortunately, Illinois is a right to work state which means the employer tends to get the power.

How does your employer know you smoke if you do it only at home?

With my current employer, all employees are required to sign an agreement that smoking is not permitted on the campus at all nor during working hours.  Technically, you can only smoke on breaks and the company reserves the right to terminate your employment if you smoke on company time.

asimeonov

$20 isnt much but its bi-weekly so thats 40 a month. I could spend that money on groceries. What I spend on cigarettes is a part of my budget. I also have family in the suburbs and I visit them weekly and stock up on cheaper cigarettes  

and at the beginning of the year we had to sign an affidavit whether we smoke or not. It stated if we lied on it, we could be terminated. So since I smoke on my breaks, I didnt want to have to go at it with them, I said i'm a smoker and opted to take the weekly seminar at work. Unfortunately, I have other comittments so I couldn't attend. I know people will say "well, you smoke during work time", not technically--i'm on break. i also never take the allotted 30 minute lunch due to the nature of my work. so i definitely spend more time at work than i'm paid for. i've also heard of companies testing employees for nicotine which I think is absolutely ridiculous. 

0 Kudos