cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tony-stewart

i need some help (also, what discussion category should this go under?)

so, i went all day without a cigarette. I had a slight craving after lunch, but got through it. Later that night I had a fairly large argument with my girlfriend. I went out for a walk and was tempted to go grab a pack of cigarettes, but didn't. I was incredibly proud of myself. I was going strong today, but had a really large craving around 10:30. I called the girlfriend and she talked me out of it. Listing all the things about my quit that made he happy. Though I just finished lunch and went with a co-worker for a walk. i was going to run downstairs and get more gum.. and I ended up stealing a cigarette from him and smoked. It was kinda gross. It made my entire body feel strange, and not in a good way. I feel like shit that I gave in, and now i'm thinking that cold turkey is bad. I'm fairly certain that's just my way of letting myself keep smoking. Alternately, I was thinking before and I'm still thinking that I should have worked harder on my triggers (read as: spent more than a day working on them before I decided to quite cold turkey.) I'm wondering if I shouldn't spend time with my after-lunch cigarette. I'm also worried about the 27th. I'm moving back to Cleveland. I'm already stressed about it. So I need some advice here. Is it me giving in to addiction to work the plan for longer and wait until after i move? or does this make sense? I dont know that I'll feel good about any decision I make myself. Cold turkey wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be, and I'm really confident I can quit. any suggestions?
0 Kudos
25 Replies
cindy25

I think there are many different methods for quitting smoking. Only you can figure out which one works for you. If you can make a commitment to yourself right now to quit, then quit. If you can't right now, plan your quit- then do it. Planning your quit is not an excuse. Either way you do it takes commitment. Sitting on the fence sucks and breeds excuses. Only you can figure this out.
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha tony, you allowed your inner junkie thinking to "allow" you to smoke. part of the triggers is also being able to out think your junkie and not smoke. it is never a "good" time to quit. every puff you take just prolongs the cycle. hang tight, be strong and positive. you do feel terrible when you give in and that will only get worse if you don't smoke and then start up again. on the other hand the pride and strength you felt when you didn't go get the pack of smoke only multiplies with each trigger or hard day you over come by not smoking. these are the strengths and experiences that will take to a successful quit. look forward and be busy and positive you will do it
0 Kudos
Giulia

"any suggestions? Yeah. Quit. Now. Stop fooling around. My opinion, yes, it's you giving in to the addiction. Stress happens. It's gonna happen whether you smoke or not. These are excuses. You "ended up" stealing a cigarette? No. You made the choice to. Recognize that you have a choice. And make the right one. Come on, Tony. You know what you have to do. Do it.

You might want to copy and paste your post to Relapse Traps under The Stress Trap. Just might help somebody not do what you just did.
0 Kudos
tony-stewart

thanks guys. I called and told the people who know I'm quitting. i think the shame involved in that was enough. I also told my friend to never give me another cigarette. he didn't seem too heartbroken. Sorry guys, thanks again for the support
0 Kudos
Giulia

Wise moves, all. One step at a time.
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Hey Tony

Maybe you could use some Words of Wisdom from someone named Joe that is celebrating his 3 rd Year Smoke Free Anniversary today and a post he wrote about "Trying to Quit" and anyone else that is "trying" to quit should also read in the Words of Wisdom Group.

Ray
I have been quit for 4 Years, 1 Month, 1 Week, 4 Days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 47 seconds (1,502 days). I have saved $12,021.09 by not smoking 60,105 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Months, 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 16 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/4/2004 12:00 AM
0 Kudos
bonnie4

Tony,
The most important thing about treating any addiction is that you are "entirely ready" to quit whatever it may be. It sounds like you may not be there. I don't know. That's for you to decide. If you do decide to put off your quitting, don't beat yourself up over it. Just commit to another day and do everything you can to be ready at that time. Remember, falling down is not a failure. The failure is when you don't get back up. Dust your knees of and keep moving toward your goals.
0 Kudos
jamie20

I am getting weekly counsiling from the American Cancer Society. I don't know if it'll help, but here's some info.

Smokers can get help finding a Quitline® phone counseling program in their area by calling the ACS at 1-800-ACS-2345 (1-800-227-2345).

Best of luck!
0 Kudos
hothula

tony did you check into the may quit thread? keep being positive and keep going for it, you will do it
0 Kudos