cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

balazs

This site is a blessing

Hello all, I have been training to quit smoking for the past few months. You know those days when you decide to smoke no cigarettes, but then find yourself speeding to the gas station to pick up a pack the next morning? It seems to happen every time I make an attempt to quit. Yesterday I told my friends that I was going to quit when i finished my pack. Of course they laughed and pointed out my failed attempts. It made me feel weak willed. Oddly enough, I was checking my facebook this morning and ran into this site. I consider myself a person with strong will power but as this site explained, my brain always screams "Just one more!". I am a college student who is tired of spending my parents money on my own self destruction, feeling anxious for cigarettes, wheezy, and weak. I have lost all of my natural stamina, and I don't even want to exercise because I can't breath correctly. Also, sex tires me out ridiculously and I can't do it like I used to. This bothers the hell out of me because I have had a very confident sex life up until recently. I am 19, but I started when I was 14. There have been time periods when I have smoked unreasonable amounts of cigarettes. I recall a day that I smoked over 60. My first semester of college, I was smoking a little over a pack a day. Since I began smoking over 20 a day, I have felt shortness of breath and constant chest pain. I read some of your other stories and I feel lucky that I haven't been smoking for 10 plus years. I have alot to learn from successful quitters, which is why I am here.

I have made prior attempts to quit, but every time something makes me unhappy I stop caring about my personal health. None of the medication gives you the satisfaction of a cigarette. I refuse to tell my doctor I smoke because of the insurance. I love the feeling of smoke entering my lungs, blowing rings, playing with smoke, ect. I understand now that they do not make me feel good, they simply replenish the nicotine supply that my body is withdrawing from. Either way, It will undoubtedly help me to participate in these forums. So good luck to everyone who is quitting. Its time for me to grow up and get healthy.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
manofsteele

Hey Balazs !

welcome and I hope you can accomplish your Smoke Free Dreams here !

I have a couple of Posts that "might" help you with your Quitting Attitude at the Words of Wisdom Group. One is called "Trying To Quit" and the other called "QuitTude" . There are many other great posts just thought I might give you a heads up !

Here are some other groups that might help your smoke free journey to success !

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/dailypledge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Pledge - Quit Party Central - Relapse Traps
Game Room Quit Reasons - Thanks and Praise
Tough Luv - Words of Wisdom - Find a Quit Buddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great Reading - http://www.tobacco-facts.info/
For a Free Quit Keeper - http://dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

YOU CAN DO IT ... we can help .....just ask !
5.4 Million die due to smoking related causes every year.
That's 2000 times a 9/11

Ray
I have been quit for 4 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 13 hours, 23 minutes and 52 seconds (1,507 days). I have saved $12,060.46 by not smoking 60,302 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Months, 3 Weeks, 5 Days, 9 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/4/2004 12:00 AM

Great part is that you can have stats like this ...... I was a "loser" smoker with a failure attitude until I learned the secrets that are revealed in these groups ...... hope that helps a bit .... have a Super Successful Day !
0 Kudos
manofsteele

No just was setting up a celebration for you at the Quit Party Central Group .... For your 5 week ...35 Day Smoke Free Celebration ..... Keep Up the Super Work ....Hope you Enjoy !
0 Kudos
balazs

I plan on communicating here often. I read the plan and it is pretty logical. It pointed out a few of the reasons my last attempts failed so I want to try anew. My only qualm is that I want to set my quit date for tomorrow, but I don't have the money for the medication. Its not that big of a deal, but I want to go balls out my next attempt and have the medication to give me more confidence and take away the edginess of not having a cigarette. But anyways, congratulations on your accomplishment Mike. That is a text book example of will power. I've only been smoking for 5 years and feel like I cannot live without them. I cant imagine how accustomed to smoking you became after 20 plus years of smoking. Thanks for the support- you guys will be hearing from me again.
0 Kudos