Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Write your Goodbye Letter to _________.

Writing a Goodbye Letter to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, vaping is a common theme here on EX. You can read other's letters for inspiration or read a blog from Dr. Hays on how to go about it.

If you haven't written your own and you're starting the quit process, you should probably think about making your own. But you probably want to first read others' letters before you write your own.

Ready to get started? you'll need to be a member of the community so be sure you login and then you can click the link to start your own Goodbye Letter .  Be sure you tag the post with "Goodbye Letter" so yours get added to the list

Did you write your letter from a template? If you feel you have a particularly compelling one, share a link to it below in the comments, or share your actual goodbye letter here on EX with a link in the comments.

While you're at it, you'll probably also want to write a letter to loved ones as well to ensure you get support and understanding at home while you go through your quit journey to support a successful quit.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
81 Replies
Barbscloud

@aFattestMerc @Langus  @gmailuser @Hannjo817 Welcome to the Ex.   A good-bye letter is a great way to to begin your journey.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addition to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many  of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

If you haven't done so already, consider creating your own post and post to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and and receive some well deserve support.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Mine from a few years back.
My Goodbye Story

Laloniekyle

I love a cig when I'm stressed, happy, driving, after eating and anytime in between, but I have a teenager and a toddler and want them to be healthy, my teenager complains all the time bc the smell n how all his stuff stinks. I'm getting older and want to quit for myself so I'm healthy for my babies and doing it for my babies. I've been thinking about quitting for awhile now and no better time to quit than now instead of putting it off like always..so goodbye stinky cigs..hello fresh smells/tastes and good health!!

Tags (1)
Barbscloud

@Laloniekyle Welcome.  Great good-bye letter to get you started on your journey.  We've smoked through every event and emotion in our lives.  Quitting will be a new way of life.  

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addiction to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Consider creating your own post at My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

Barb

0 Kudos
McMoney

@Laloniekyle I read your post above and I remembered so long ago, my little brother complaining about the smell of my mom's cigarettes.  In his teen years, he started smoking because he hated the smell and when he smoked he couldn't smell it anymore. He and I both quit this year after smoking for over 25 years. I hope you are sticking with your quit date of December 1st!  Quit for you and quit for your kids! Cigarettes STINK!!!  

- Meriah
0 Kudos
alorra

Goodbye vapes I know I had stress and having anxiety and panic attacks but you make me feel worse and I'm sorry you want to be in my life but I don't want you to be life I want to be free and happy without vaping so goodbye vape 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@alorra Welcome to the Ex. and congrats on your quit day today.   A good-bye letter is a great way to begin your journey to become and Ex. 

No matter the source, nicotine is an addictive chemical .The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.  Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Consider creating your own post to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

Barb

0 Kudos
Hdangelo23

The other day my daughter had a toy and said mom look it’s like I’m hitting vape and that was the final straw for me. I started smoking as a teenager. I quit and then my ex brought them around and I told him they’re gross and we needed to just vape and ever since then I’ve been hooked. I’m done though. I’m done spending money on these stupid things. I’m done making people in the Congo suffer because I have this dumb addiction. Good bye nicotine. I don’t need you.

Barbscloud

@Hdangelo23 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  A good-bye letter is a great way to begin your journey to become an Ex.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did neither in the past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters. Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time

Thanks for sharing the information about the Congo. Not being a vaper or on Tik Tok this is the first I've heard of the abuse of the Congolese  people to mine Cobalt needed for vape batteries (actually all lithium batteries). 

Please consider creating your own post at My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support. 

Stay busy and stay close.  Look forward to celebrating with you on the 4th.

Barb

0 Kudos
test-abclan1

0 Kudos