Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Write your Goodbye Letter to _________.

Writing a Goodbye Letter to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, vaping is a common theme here on EX. You can read other's letters for inspiration or read a blog from Dr. Hays on how to go about it.

If you haven't written your own and you're starting the quit process, you should probably think about making your own. But you probably want to first read others' letters before you write your own.

Ready to get started? you'll need to be a member of the community so be sure you login and then you can click the link to start your own Goodbye Letter .  Be sure you tag the post with "Goodbye Letter" so yours get added to the list

Did you write your letter from a template? If you feel you have a particularly compelling one, share a link to it below in the comments, or share your actual goodbye letter here on EX with a link in the comments.

While you're at it, you'll probably also want to write a letter to loved ones as well to ensure you get support and understanding at home while you go through your quit journey to support a successful quit.

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
81 Replies
ushie

Hello! I'm an ex smoker of 40+ years too who recently quit. I'm 81 days smoke free. It's like learning how to live again but at this juncture I don't feel as if I have a choice. Take it day by day and the smoke free days add up. Stay strong!!

CamillaJ92

I know there will come a day when I miss you very much. It will most likely be a day when I am sad, stressed, or lonely. It may even be when I'm in good spirits and feel like celebrating by chain puffing the vape or some hookah at a party. What I'm saying goodbye to and will not miss is how you made me feel about myself, my body, and my health. Those nights and mornings spent awake, coughing, contemplating why I consume you if you hurt me like this. That time I got the most wicked case of bronchitis and I struggled to breathe through that because of what you had done to my lungs. The hold you've had on me for far too long is over and I am making this promise to myself that I will be and live, free. 

Barbscloud

@CamillaJ92 Welcome to the Ex.  Great good-bye letter to begin your journey.

It's important to understand that nicotine is an addiction.  When armed with that knowledge, quitting becomes more possible.  There are psychological habits attached also, so we have to work on both.  Early on it's the physical addiction we have to work through. The psychological part takes longer.  We've attached every emotion and activity with smoking so it takes some work to find new associations to replace the old.   

So educate yourself about nicotine and create a quit plan. Along with the support of fellow quitters these two steps has meant success for many smokers. 

This link is a great lace to start. Learn how to identify your triggers, the tools you'll use, creating new associations instead of smoking, etc. 

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 1st.   I will be the beginning of a new way of life.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

PS   Consider creating your at Post My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and received some well deserved support.

Barbscloud

@CamillaJ92 

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  Great good-bye letter to get you started on your journey. 

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addition to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many  of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time. 

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
aFattestMerc

Dear cig, 

You have helped me through some of the lowest points in my life, but you're a hinderance to my health, my mind, my lungs, and my happiness. I used to enjoy smoking a few of you everyday to calm me down, but now I feel the need to have one every hour. If i manage to go more than a few hours it feels like you're the one in control, not me. As much as i would like to say it's me and not you, it isn't me it's you, because of you i struggle to breathe, i have coughing fits, and i feel like crap all the time. You have hurt my lungs, my mentality, my teeth, my confidence, and my wallet. All i can hope for now is that you haven't done long term damage in the 5 years ive been addicted to you. I found you when i was 13 and you took control in a matter of days, was it because of everything going on, i couldn't say. But you need to leave my life and let me be the best me i can be. I need to heal from everything you've done to my body and i can't do that if im dependent on you to make it through the day.

0 Kudos
mabed88

kudos

0 Kudos
mabed88

kudos

0 Kudos
Langus

@CommunityAdmin wrote:

Writing a Goodbye Letter to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, vaping is a common theme here on EX. You can read other's letters for inspiration or read a blog from Dr. Hays on how to go about it.

If you haven't written your own and you're starting the quit process, you should probably think about making your own. But you probably want to first read others' letters before you write your own.

Ready to get started? you'll need to be a member of the community so be sure you login and then you can click the link to start your own Goodbye Letter .  Be sure you tag the post with "Goodbye Letter" so yours get added to the list

Did you write your letter from a template? If you feel you have a particularly compelling one, share a link to it below in the comments, or share your actual goodbye letter here on EX with a link in the comments.

While you're at it, you'll probably also want to write a letter to loved ones as well to ensure you get support and understanding at home while you go through your quit journey to support a successful quit.

Goodbye letter 

You were there for me when i was sad, you were there for when i was bored, you were there for me anytime i wanted, but now i must say goodbye. Goodbye old buddies i will miss burning you. Weve been together for a long time. I hope to never see you again. 

Goodbye

0 Kudos
gmailuser

Dear vape,

You took too much from me and I’m fighting back now finally. I don’t want to get out of breath going up the stairs anymore, or have to vape in a bathroom. You seemed like a sweet deal at the beginning when I was in a terrible place emotionally but now I understand how horribly you’ve treated me. I don’t want to be constantly thinking about my next fix anymore. I want this to be goodbye for good, even if I’m tempted. Even if I’m around friends that are vaping and can’t avoid it, I want this to be goodbye for good. 

Hannjo817

I was just 17 years old. I remember seeing my eldest sister smoking. I can remember like it was yesterday, my sister took a puff and started talking but I didn't see any smoke coming out. I thought to myself, I'm going to learn that trick. That's when it all began. The challenge of learning what I thought was a trick, grabbed a hold of me mentally and it then became an addiction. I've learned the "trick" and now I'm cutting ties with you. No more nicotine, no more cravings, no more addiction. I'm saying goodbye to this nasty and expensive habit. Goodbye addiction....Hello healthy lifestyle. 

#Goodbye Letter