cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tiffany5

What Method's Kill Your Cravings?

What have you found to be the most successful way to rid your mind of the urges and cravings? What types of methods work for you?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
lori37

i used nicotine gum to help with the withdrawal symptoms. i also bought a crap load of straws (3,000 at sams club) and when i got a strong urge, i cut the straws in half then peeled the papers off them. i chewed straws, i had starlight mints, i did a lot of reading, i surfed the web looking for anti smoking ads, commercials, pics etc., i set up a slideshow on my computer (of the pics i found), i spent more time with my step-son and pets, i played video/computer games, i called my mom for the encouragement and praise to keep going, i did jigsaw puzzles, word search, crosswords, i even poured ketchup on clean dishes to have some to wash. hey, if it works do it, right? i just kept busy doing things i love to do. i also slept a lot. when i got to the crying point, i took a nap. i been quit 6 months 1 week and 2 days.
0 Kudos
NancyJC

Ride them out. They don't last that long. I quit cold turkey, the only way for me. I tried gum, patches, shots. They all helped with the withdrawals, but not the cravings. I felt that if I used any NRT, I would just have to withdraw from that sooner or later, so I just did it. Cold turkey is not for everyone, but like I said, it was the only way for me. Cravings still come and go, but they are getting fewer and far in between. If I get a craving, I just put my mind on something else or I think about the consequences of smoking or how bad it smells or how much it costs or about my family and how bad I would feel if they had to take care of me if I got sick from smoking. It doesn't take long for that craving to go away then. We can all do this. Never another puff.
0 Kudos
tiffany5

I've heard so many positive things about Chantix. Is that the medicine that's supposed to make you nauseous if you smoke cigarettes? I don't miss them either. 🙂 They're really close to being like a bad ex boyfriend that won't stop calling asking for forgiveness ha ha ha!
0 Kudos
tiffany5

I love all of your ideas! Maybe I will get back into reading something again! I used to go through books so fast...Thank you for all of those fantastic ideas! Like you said, the point is, is keeping yourself busy no matter what it is, whatever you have to do, until the cravings go away!
0 Kudos
tiffany5

I do think cold turkey is accomplishable. I actually only had 3 patches left when I began my quit. The other ones were failed attempts. But I used the remaining 3 to get me past the 3 rough days. And the rest I am doing all on my own. By will power. Whatever it takes to get far far away from this habit. You make a very good point, if a person chooses to use the cold turkey method and a craving comes along, make the consequences your patch. And again cold turkey may not be for everyone like you said but those are good ideas for those who want to use that method to quit. I
0 Kudos
anita2

I use Chantix. It's been three weeks now with no Cig. and I don't miss them either. I feel really good now :-))
0 Kudos
edith2

Procrastination. No matter how bad my cravings got, I put off lighting up. Every time I did that I got stronger and my cravings got weaker. I also used the Nicorette lozenges and they helped alot. I quit using the lozenges after about 5 weeks and I didn't have any problems with cravings when I quit using the lozenges.
0 Kudos
tiffany5

Procrastination always works. I find myself always going clean crazy around the house when I've quit. I'll clean the entire house top to bottom or I'll go and change things around and rearrange furniture to kinda symbolize a new positive change and change is always good.
0 Kudos
anita2

Yeah, I actually had to cut down on the dosage. I was getting really nauseous and kept getting upset stomach. I only take 1mg a day and it is enought for me. I call it the Miracle Drug. I tried lots of things,patches, cold turkey, and the gum, but nothing ever worked. I think this one worked because I didn't receive any nicotine through it and once you get over that part where your body is really free of nicotine, you start to heal and work on the issues on why you smoked. It really feels great not to be addicted to those NASTY THINGS :-)))
0 Kudos