cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jasson

Quitting with other smokers in your home

Anyone out there got some advice for a husband who wants to quit, with a wife that isn't even interested in discussing it. I/we have tried many, many times and it really seems to me that it's impossible...one without the other, I mean. Also any opinions on the best quit smoking medications to seriously consider? Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Jasson
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jennifer84

Hi Jason. Honestly this is all in my own opinion~ I think cold turkey is the way to go. All the stop smoking "aids" are just helping you with the initial detoxing part. I have a similar story as you. I am 31 I have been a HEAVY smoker since I was 13. I have never ever tried to quit before. As of 1030 pm tonight I will be over day 4 of the quit. For me the first 2 days were the absolute worst! I NEVER want to feel that again. However because I didn't use any "aids" it helped get the toxins out of my body faster! So by day 3 I wasn't crying any more! LOL And today I feel pretty good. My husband IS quiting with me which makes it a little easier however! That means we are at each other's throat LOL but we both know its nothing personal. Maybe since your wife isn't ready to quit maybe you could get her to smoke outside. And by you setting the example maybe she will follow suit soon. All I know is that this is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am proud of myself for every minute that I don't smoke!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT! This site has helped my more than I ever thought it would. Okay so now that I have written a book I will wish you well!!!!! 🙂 OH!!!!!! PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT AND READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.... IT GIVES YOU STEP BY STEP ON WHAT TO EXPECT! It will help you! http://www.quit-smoking.net/what-to-expect.html

Jennifer
0 Kudos
Brenda_M

Hi, Jasson, I just saw this. I used the patch, and it really helped me get my head in the game. That is, when I had a crave in the initial days, I would think, "Well, this is clearly all in my head, because I'm receiving the nicotine." I don't know, it just gave me new perspective.

How are you doing? Have you set a quit date yet?
0 Kudos
patricia6

New house rules. NO smoking in the house or upwind of the house.
When I was pregnant I had this 'issue' come up and NO out the front door under the eves of the house does not count as out of the house.
Yeah, it is completely selfish to presume that when others do not want smoking around them that it is "their problem" but this substance is addictive and dangerous and the foot needs to be put down.
The smoker has options, they narrow as the toxic substance is more nearly unwelcome because it is deadly.
I would put up a tent in the back yard and sleep there when I was pregnant and the no smoke rule was not honored. It was really hard. ANd I did insist that in fact, no, I would not tolerate the stench as I was doing the right thing and love is not about killing one another with toxic smoke.Now I simply will only talk to the smoker on the phone. I am not pregnant, my kid is 17 and does not smoke, by the way. I do not smoke, when I have in the house. Houses are not appropriate places for this toxic material. That is my opinion. Others who live in houses may want to live , so houses could be illegal places to smoke as far as I am concerned.
0 Kudos
patricia6

Oh, and I came on here on the patch and was doing really well and the idea of cold turkey seemed the next step. I want to heal my brain so I am whole or at least whole 'like' one day after this addiction. WEll, I am now of the opinion that whatever floats your boat and keeps the nasty smoldering meanace out of my hands for the amount of time it does take befor I am not smoking so commitedly, so determinedly so fearsly that I am not ever going back.
Call me the bad type person, cold turkeys, say that I am 'still the addict' well, what the heck, we all are. It is a mirical when anyone puts out the killer smoke and does not lit up again. When one day or ten years go by what REALLY matters..really really really is that NOT ONE PUFF more ever again.It is better not to smoke. After that if I can get cold turkey myself , well all the better. But the NOT ONE PUFF is the BIG DEAL. I have used the gum and then one day none and gone for years in a row free and clear.
0 Kudos
vicky4

I'm new to this group but I'm in the same position you are. My husband still smokes. Try to talk to your wife about why it's important to you to quit smoking and ask her to help you. Don't expect her to quit with you, but I'm sure she'll try to make it a little easier on you. Good luck. Don't give up.
0 Kudos
vicki-jackson

Hey Jasson. I have now been smoke free for 3 months, 14 days, but my husband continues to smoke-however, he did agree to do it outside, not in my car, and trys not to smoke around me. I have been successful with the lonzenges and with support from many friends & family members and this site. The big problem with the hubby is that he will forget and leave some cigarrettes in packs or partially smoked, and I find myself really mad when he leaves his butts outside. I think I have tried all but Chantix because I discussed it with my Dr. and others and understood the side effects. I have decided that you must be ready to quit whatever method you try. I think it is harder for women because of the weight gain and for men with the stress of work. Good Luck and keep me posted. Vicki
0 Kudos