Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome: Introduce Yourself!

If you're just joining EX, we'd love for you to get in the mix and tell us a little bit about you in a comment. Don't know what to say, tell us what you're up to right now. Then be sure to fill out your Community Profile and upload an avatar.

If you're more brave and...

...ready to start your Quit Journey and share more you can Journal about it.

...have a question, you can ask it in Support, Quitting Methods or Health Conditions.

...or jump into the Conversations or latest posts from across the site..

If you're not yet brave you can...

...learn about using the community on the FAQ Page.

...read the info on My EX Plan and Set a Quit Date.

...search the community site or search from search bar on many pages (works just like Google).

...complete your EX Profile and your Community Profile.

...read the Best of EX.

...browse others' quit journeys.‌

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
491 Replies
cajakajes4546

Hello, I'm Jean and just joined this morning.  I would love to quit smoking, it's been over 40 years now and thankfully I don't have major problems.. YET!  Just a matter of time.  My problem with quitting is my husband.   Hard core smoker that doesn't seem to want to quit.  I would be around him constantly since we are both retired, just hoping if I quit he might decide to give it a go too.  My quit date is the 24th of Jan. 

0 Kudos
mary209

Hey,  I am Mary.  Only been smoking 2 years since divorce.  I want to quit for many reasons mainly my health and my kids.  Started cigarette tracking yesterday.  I am impressed by the information on this site and how you start working on quiting even before you set quit date.  Good wishes everyone.  I live with smokers so I hoping this site can help.  Hope it helps you too.

0 Kudos
adbrunson

HI I'm ALexsis in Houston. I'm a reformed &former Party-Girl that needs to kick the last bad habit!  My husband gave me an ultimatum; quote smoking for no sex for you. He says it time for me to grow up.   I do want to quit for myself and to increase my chances of having a baby.   

Quitting SUCKS! It’s tough. The last time I quit I gained 20 pounds and refuse to let that happen again!  My biggest issue is that my husband smokes too (My hubby is the occasional smoker who can pick it and put it down with out issue.)  The other "trigger" in environment is that my 73 dad lives with us and he smokes 2 packs per day. 

0 Kudos
Emilydfab

Hi! I decided a few weeks ago that I’m quitting tomorrow. Bought my last bottle of vape juice and I’m gonna be out tonight. I have my replacements ready but I’m nervous I won’t be able to do it. I smoked maybe 7 cigarettes in my life but got hooked on the vape about 2.5 years ago. No one I’m my family knows I do it. I’m tired of being dependent on it and having to go outside every few hours at work. I think since I mentally decided it is time that I can be successful. Only nervous of giving in to temptation. I’m not sure how quitting will affect me since I haven’t tried before 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @Emilydfab  and congrats on your first day nicotine free.   It's normal to be nervous at first.  Every emotion and activity involved nicotine.   Have you been reading about nicotine addiction?  Having an understanding of this addiction helps us to prepare for this journey.   If you haven't done so already, identify the tools you'll use and the new association you'll create instead of smoking.

And of course, we're here for you.  So reach out if you need support--just Post to My Blog and get support from fellow quitters.   

And taking the Daily Pledge each day helps to keep you on track one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Emilydfab wrote:

Hi! I decided a few weeks ago that I’m quitting tomorrow. Bought my last bottle of vape juice and I’m gonna be out tonight. I have my replacements ready but I’m nervous I won’t be able to do it. I smoked maybe 7 cigarettes in my life but got hooked on the vape about 2.5 years ago. No one I’m my family knows I do it. I’m tired of being dependent on it and having to go outside every few hours at work. I think since I mentally decided it is time that I can be successful. Only nervous of giving in to temptation. I’m not sure how quitting will affect me since I haven’t tried before 

How are things going?

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Emilydfab

I am 4 hours away from being  TWO WEEKS nicotine free!! I had 1 craving on day 1, a headache on day 2, and brain fog days 3 and 4. That was the extent of my withdrawal and I don’t think about it regularly anymore. I feel lucky I was able to just quit cold turkey with minimal side effects. It was the first and last thing I did every day and couldn’t imagine life without it. I’m so glad I decided to stop!

Giulia

Brava @Emilydfab !  By now it's several hours after you posted and you have achieved your two-week milestone!   I remember what that was like.  Even though it was over 15 years ago.  I remember the cost, the cravings, the brain fog.  You're doing GREAT!  Keep doing it.  A word of advice - the journey may  change as you move along the path of freedom.  Don't be surprised if you get a sudden craving.  It's just part of the journey.  Especially when the first or last thing we did in our day was to smoke or vape or chaw or gnaw!  lol 

I’m so glad I decided to stop!   I'm really happy you decided to quit too.  Stick with it.   And keep posting here.  Others need to hear your beautiful  positive message!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad to see you're still here @Mynewlife21 and a big congrats on two weeks smoke free.  You're off to a successful start on your journey.

Barb

0 Kudos
Mark2RN86

Hello everyone 🙋‍♂️. My name is Mark. And I started my journey to quit today!! First day almost done.