cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

donna77

Wed. Marks 3 weeks Smoke-Free

Hi!

This is the longest time I have not smoked in 26 years, and I want to continue! I recently had surgery which made me quit for the few days before and the time in the hospital. I am very lucky, my doctor tells me my lungs are "beautiful" and my heart is good. I am a healthy 42 year old and I want to start fresh.

I must admit, these 3 weeks have not been as bad as I thought. But as I continue to get better, I don't want to fall into a trap and think, "oh one puff won't hurt", because I know for me it will!

Does anyone know about a "fake cig" or is this the inhaler that I have seen mentioned? What is the inhaler? Thank you for any help!

Donna
0 Kudos
17 Replies
sher

Congratulations, I had a respiratory Therapist tell me to just suck on a straw and exhale just like you would a cig. It helps allot
0 Kudos
donna77

Thank you very much! I'm going to try.
0 Kudos
donna77

Thank you for the positive thoughts and CONGRATS to you! Over 11 months is something to be proud of!

I'm glad to know the nicotine is out of my system, now it is the mental, which seems to be harder to deal with. I agree I don't want a replacement. I just want the act of smoking. I have to say... the straw is helping!

Thank you again and "Happy 1 Year No Smoking to You!"
0 Kudos
donna77

I agree with you, it is the mental addiction and I know the "one puff" would have me smoking again. I too do not and WILL NOT take that chance.

The straw is helping, I'll try the cinnamon sticks too!

Thank you!!
0 Kudos
donna77

Thank you for the straw! Yes, it does work, however, I have to tell you how crazy I am. I did not like the way the straw gave too much air, so... I found a broken nerf dart from one of my children's toy guns, I rolled up a piece and put it in one end of the straw... like a filter, it works great!! It was so encouraging to see what the therapist said about the lungs being used to the habit, how true! Now I don't feel so, so CRAZY!

I too love the cinnamon altoids, but my the best for me are the chocolate covered ones! I have boxes of them, but I haven't started using... I like my "fake smoke".
0 Kudos
hwc

Congratulations on three weeks. That's a major accomplishment.

You are correct. One puff certainly will hurt. In fact, one puff sends most quitters (about 95%) back to their full level of smoking. There is only one way for you to stay an ex-smoker. You can never take another puff.

I'm not sure what a fake cigarrette or nicotine inhaler would do for you at this point. At the three week mark, you are so close to being a fully-comfortable ex-smoker for whom thinking about smoking just isn't that big a deal. Things change pretty rapidly from the one month mark going forward in that department. It's not like you will be living your life thinking about cigarrettes or fighting off cravings.
0 Kudos
donna77

Thank you for your reply. The funny thing... I want a cigarrette now more than before! I think it is because of how I quit. If I had not had to have surgery and the stay in the hospital, I'm sure I would still be smoking. I know that one puff will ruin everything and I am not going to do that. I'm going to continue to puff on my straw! After a few modifications... it really does help!!

Thank you.
0 Kudos
sher

Glad the straw is working, I think I'm addicted to cinnamon altoids, that is my cig lol, but the therapist told me that the lungs are use to the habit, so they are craving that same movement, so that is why the straw helps. Keep up the great work
0 Kudos
sher

LOL yea the fake smoke helps allot, and its great that you can adapt it to what helps you the most, you have to decorate them for sure, cut them down and such. I called a help line one time, I think it was my first day, I was freaking, and they told me about cinnamon helping the urge.
0 Kudos