cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ashley46

Trying to quit while pregnant.

I'm 4 weeks pregnant, though I only found out a couple days ago. I'm about a pack a day smoker. I've cut down to about 10-12 ciggs so far. Yesterday I only had about 6-7. Instead of smoking a whole cigarette, I'll smoke half, and smoke the other half later. I am such a habitual smoker.I smoke after everything I do. Not just driving. But while doing my makeup and hair, after getting out of the shower (eww). It's bad. But if I think I need one. I just take deep breaths and realise how good that oxygen is for my baby instead of the nicotine and carbon monoxide. I know it sounds like a long show... but tomorrow I plan to not have a cigarette all day...and hopefully never again. they say most people have success quiting when it's cold turkey, not weaning them off on patches and gum....so here i go!!! i'll keep you guys updated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cass75

I smoked for the first couple of months of both of my pregnancies - feeling bad about it won't help, it will only stress you out more and make it harder to quit. I think you are on the right track focusing on the breathing. When I quit, that helped me a lot. Another thing that helped a lot was the morning sickness. I also found that relaxing - not worrying about stuff, even sleeping a lot (if that's an option for you) helped a lot too. People usually cut you a little more slack when you're pregnant anyway, (fatique, hormones...) so take advantage of it and give yourself a break. I'm sure you've read this elsewhere here, but it gets easier each day. You find you'll forget that you want to smoke at times when you used to naturally want to.
0 Kudos
shawn10

Hey you are doing fabulous! I tried to quit while pregnant, but the damage was already done. I got down to 7 a day (from a 3pack a day habit) within a week of finding out, but I was already 3 mos pregnant. My son was born at 24 weeks, exactly to the day, 5 months along.
I don't know if it was the smoking or the stress I was going through in life, but along he came, and what a ride ever since!

A child's health is mucho important, and you want to do whats best for your baby as soon as possible. (Not tryin to scare you, but these things DO happen!) Although I never went back up to over a pack a day after cutting down, even my smoking outside has caused some problems with his health. Its on you, your clothes, your skin, and yes, your hair and thats not good for any baby or child.
shawn
0 Kudos