cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Aherrington90

Too hard

Jump to solution

This is my first post as I am new here.I have smoke like 2 (sometimes more) boxes of cigarettes a week for YEARS.My parents were smokers(not the kind that went outside, the kind that suffocated you in the house with their smoke), my grandparents were smokers....I have tried to quit MANY times.  And EVERY time, the stress of life takes over and I quit trying to quit!!! I have basically lived in cigarette smoke my entire life. I do take mine outside so our house don't wreak of cigarettes and so my kids don't have to be forced to breathe it in like I was. I have tried patches, gum, lozenges, gummies....NOTHING IS WORKING. At this point I don't think I'll ever be able to quit and I'm frustrated and stressed and it's raining so it's not like going outside for fresh air will work. I have signed up for text messages, that didn't work.....I read after about 10 or so minutes the urge to smoke passes....well it don't!!! At least for me. I've tried quitting cold turkey, reducing the number of cigarettes I smoke, like I'm almost ready to give up trying to quit. I would like to know if any of you on here have felt like this and what did you do.....just a heads up I have kids from ages 2-15.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies

Me to I understand u it’s so hard for me to seem like when I’m trying to quit stress I plan to quit than smoke I don’t no what else to do I feel like I’m never going to quit and now I’m pregnant and need to stop for my baby sake I than quit every other day and the patches burn my arm and I’m on the 21mg and I can easily take it off and smoke 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Gastonsharonda Welcome to the Ex.  Please consider posting to Journals/Blogs so that other quitters will see your post and provide the support you need.  @Aherrington90 quit in January, so you can do this also.

Read material on the Ex and to learn about  nicotine addiction and create a quit plan. These two steps have helped many smokers be successful.   I did the same thing for years.  I'd pick a quit date and an aid, but had no idea what I was doing.  Learning how to quit finally made the difference me. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Support/Too-hard/td-p/1943144/page/3

It is hard and it takes work, but if you're prepared with tools you'll use and the associations you'll create in stead of smoking you'll be on you way to a successful quit.

Using an aid such as the patch does help to ease the withdrawal from nicotine. " Mild itching, burning, or tingling may occur when the patch is first applied. This should go away within 24 hours. Call your doctor if you have a rash or if your skin is swollen".

We're here to support you so, pick a quit date and be committed to quitting for you and your baby.  Stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Aherrington90

Looking back now and reading that, it seems like a world of difference now compared to ^that day!! I have been smoke free since January 28. People around me smoke and it no longer bothers me. @Gastonsharonda  those first few weeks are more of a mind game than anything. I used the patches, gum, AND the lozenges when I quit this time. I still chew a stick of gum every now and again. My sleep cycle has gradually begun to normalize(other than being disrupted by DST). My birthday weekend was weekend before this past weekend and I was able to build an entire swingset playset without stopping for a cig every hour. And we got a lot more done! Still took forever but the point is you will realize how much more you can get done without that need for a cig. If the patch burns your arm shave and put it on your leg, or a not so sensitive part of your body. For me it was my calf. We are all here for you you CAN do it

Barbscloud

@Aherrington90 Thanks for responding to this post.  Your an inspiration to a new quitter.

Barb

Barbscloud

Please ignore.  It posted twice.

0 Kudos