cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

emostruggle

To take the plunge.....

I am completely new to actually writing anything here but I have been reading on this site for about a month.  Sorry if this is long...

A little bit of backstory.  I tried to quit about a month ago, I read Alan Carr's book twice and jumped in without any preparation or anything.  It was horrible to say the least.  I was mad at the world for 6 days (not a fun person to be around) just sat and dwelled and grieved on the fact that I didn't have my "one thing" that was mine.  I caved on the 6th day after crying uncontrollably all day for no reason.  I thought I was just to different.  I have since read so many things on here that lead me to believe that it was all normal, even the grieving which I thought made me a freak because why would you grieve over something that is trying to kill you... anyways here is my actual question, my quit date isn't until next week. But this is my second quit day...the first came and went and I went into panic mode and just didn't. So I have all the hard candy, stuff to do, toothpicks, straws etc.  I have been making my own smokes and now I am almost out of tubes. I told myself I won't go buy anymore tubes, but that means quitting early which even thinking about it puts me into panic....I don't know if I should take the plunge early or buy a pack instead of buying 200 more tubes or to wait until my actual date.... sorry I don't know if this makes any sense or if I am just rambling, thanks for being out there and putting in time on here so I can see I am not a complete basketcase lol

36 Replies

When you're ready, then go for it!!

In my case, I waited until the quit date even though I thought I could quit sooner, simply because a kind of excitement was building in me as the date got closer, and I wanted to use that enthusiasm for the first days. When I put out that last cigarette, it was like, "Finally!"

All I can say is whatever path you choose, don't be shy about coming here and blogging. It's saved so many of us, including me! Quit when you are ready. We'll be here to help if you need us.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Are you using any aid (patch, gum, lozenges) to help with your quit?i used the patch and it really helps take the edge off and gradually weans you off of nicotine. Although I think the hardest part of the quit journey is the mental aspect and routine.

emostruggle

No I'm not using anything, I have tried to use aids in the past and it sounds weird but they make it seem like a constant reminder of smoking just being around or on me and I tend to cave in.  I think I have to make a clean break with all of it.

0 Kudos

Not weird at all. I don't think I could have done it without the patch. There are plenty of cold turkey quitters here so hopefully they'll have some tips for you.

Bree19

Hi.I'm a few days behind with my communications.  

Welcome to EX!.  I'm so glad you've joined us.  I will be writing more regularly at the end of this month.  This is just a short first message to say, EX is here to help you through the tough and (MANY) good days in your smoke-free future.   I look forward to getting to know you when I come back.

Bree

Biscuit

No not using anything. I am so new to the site I believe I've missed something important. I chose my quit date. Approximately 2 weeks out. I thought all the info and building of community was preparing me for tha date (that is when I would begin to no longer smoke). In the meantime I thought I was mentally preparing. I got a text today saying throw your smokes out tonight, hence the confusion. Eeeeek help

0 Kudos
Yess

I had to stick with my quit date even though I was reading Allen Carr's book and felt I could "do it" earlier (we're only talking 3 days early) but I felt I needed to stay with the decision making process.  I bought enough cigs by the pack in the last week (I was a carton purchaser) to last until 10pm the night before my quit - I destroyed 2 remaining - not bad figuring!  I was amazed at how annoyed I was getting with myself, feeling that I had to smoke until my quit date; it was great because I developed quite a dislike for the the taste, the smell, the inconvenience, ad infinitum. It actually felt like a relief to stub out that last smoke and here, at 38 days, despite the urges and demonic sessions, the memory of those last 3 days serves me well, alongside my list of reasons.  I did use Wellbutrin for the first month but when I realized I was experiencing negative side effects, my doctor and I decided I should stop taking it.  So far so good, feeling those effects dissipating but glad of the help it served for that first 4 weeks. I felt that it (Wellbutrin) curbed the screaming heebie-jeebies for me until the nicotine was well out of my system and I became entrenched in my quit and this support group.

Pamela

gardenancy8

Pamela, I had to laugh at the choice of words you used, ' demonic sessions '  lol    These words couldn't be truer for me!   what a roller coaster of emotions it has been! 

Biscuit

Any suggestions to help rid your body of nicotine quicker? Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

0 Kudos