cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Temptation vs Determination

Hello everyone.  This morning I found myself at a crossroads in my quit.  It was through much self talk and termination that helped me through, what I thought, was a temptation.  I was apprehensive about taking my husband to the station knowing that I would be passing my often frequented 7/11 for my daily pack.  But I know that I can't stay buried in my house even if there is more than two feet of snow outside.  I dropped my husband off and headed back home with much trepidation.  I talked to myself saying that 1)  I DO NOT want to repeat day 1  2)  I DO NOT need the cigarette     3)  my cough was starting to sound like my mother (ugh)  4) I CAN BREATH  5)  I love my family  6) I am proud of myself for quitting  7)  BREATH  😎  Look forward to your breakfast  9)  You have a lot to do today, so get absorbed in your tasks  and 10)  You are FREE.  I believe there are more things I said, but the main thing is I realized that I really did not want to smoke.  It was conditioning that made me fear driving past my cigarette stop.  I am going to get started on my projects and say N.O.P.E.  Thank you all for being here.

-Michelle

24 Replies
Mon2

We will do this congratulations!

MichelleDiane

Yes we will.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Bree19

THAT's how it's done and that's how you add up every day WON.

One car trip at a time.  One day at a time. One baby step at a time.

Blessings

Bree xxxx

MichelleDiane

Thanks Bree!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You DID it!  And - you did it WELL!  Each time you conquer an association/trigger, your quit will be stronger and the temptation will be lessened.

You had your tools and you used them.  Good for you!

Nancy

gregp136

What a wonderful post!  Great!  You did it.  Each day is a step further away from smoking.  Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing you successful self talking!

maryfreecig

Good job. You are doing the work that needs to be done to move along in your smobriety. It is hard work and you did it! Keep it coming.

JACKIE1-25-15

Wonderful and congratulations on protecting your quit.  It takes work.  Glad you were up to the task. Great job. 

Laurarutledge

Thank you for sharing that. My temptation is just downstairs in the garage. There is still a half carton of cigarettes, and every time I go to use the half bath, the last door before the garage door, I have a slight tingling, a slight “should I or shouldn’t I”. I can’t seem to stop remember that they are there. I want to go get them to throw them in the wood burning stove, but that would take actually going out to get them. Thankfully, our weather has been miserably cold and it’s too cold to even think of going out there. Even on my 2nd quit day, cigarettes already aren’t tempting enough to be worth freezing to go get one. 

I’m actually convinced for the first time in my life, that cigarettes aren’t worth any amount of trouble to me anymore, I’m too happy with the idea that I’m a non-smoker.

When planning to quit, I made a list of why I wanted to quit smoking. The ones I’m sure we all said, health reasons, topped my list. But the most important ones to me were:

* Because Being Weak Sucks!

* Because I Hate Being Addicted!

And I’m proud of myself for doing everything I can to fight the addiction demon and be free! N.O.P.E.!