cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Daniellah

Cut back the Caffeine

You know, I did really well on day 1.  I was exhausted but I made it with a cat nap in the middle of the day. I also only had half a cup of coffee because I didn't have creamer in the house so it was kinda gross.

Fast forward to today when I had a full cup of coffee this morning and I'm so jittery I can't sit still.  not helping at all but I'm making it through it, fighting this battle and drinking water to hopefully curb these feelings. Ready to sleep tonight so that I can just be calm.  Maybe I'll take part in some yoga again tonight.

Moral of the story: If you quit smoking, make sure you also cut down on the caffeine you ingest because it definitely can affect you (but we are all different so find what works for you).  🙂

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Lots of folks have reported that they are more sensitive to caffeine when they quit.  Guess you figured it out!!!!!

Tonight you might try some hot milk, or a bit of Benadryl to help you get over the hump if you still have the heebie/jeebies.

Lesson learned - and Day WON!

Good for you!

Nancy

0 Kudos
indingrl

Excellent self care and please continue blogging for you help me to stay quit abd yes I gave coffee you years now I discovered I love the creme and white sugar with little coffee added... I laugh now back then I just complained what

next do I have to give up... I can laugh now. Keep on keeping on. Great job and congrats!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I'm so glad you realized that coffee is a major trigger for you and also found a way to manage it.  Super Job, especially on your first day!!!  Personally, if I don't quickly transfuse my body with homemade cappuccino the day might as well be skipped.  I learned how to handle it quickly for the sake of the life blood my body needs daily.  If you can, figure out a different place from where you used to drink it, use both hands to hold the coffee mug so you don't have a free hand to smoke with, or you might right down a step by step plan the day before you have that first caffeine shot. And as always tell yourself that having a smoke with your coffee doesn't make the coffee taste better, it makes it worse. It really does too, 

Keep in close touch with these kind, helpful, and outstanding people here and you really can do this! I am so you can to.  

Julie   66 DOF

0 Kudos
Daniellah

Oh I definitely am. I have learned that I need to either drink slower or drink tea which I do love as well so I might use that in place. I get horrible migraines when I quit caffeine so I hope that I can curb that with the tea. It’s going to be trying but I agree that I have found a great support system that I am excited to utilize.

Sent from my iPhone

Bedtime Yoga - 20 Minute Calming & Relaxing Night Time Flow - YouTube 

Great job getting through the day! Yes, keep that caffeine down. Switching to Camomile tea after that first coffee may be a good idea. Folks report either low energy/sleepy-tiredness or jittery/ can't rest or sleep during withdrawal. I experienced the latter. What helped me was Yoga, Meditation and believe it or not Exercise. And most important of all - hang in there! Time takes care of all of it!

Daniellah

I do yoga every morning and workout as well. I’m planning on getting more of that in to curb the want to keep busy and potentially smoke or eat.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

GREAT ideas!

0 Kudos
elvan

Daniellah  I am MUCH more sensitive to caffeine now than I was when I smoked.  I used to drink an entire pot of coffee every morning and now I can just get a cup down...I don't drink anything with caffeine in it after 4:00.  Some days, much earlier.

0 Kudos
Daniellah

Agreed. I was a pot of coffee before lunch kind of person sometimes 2 cups before 7am so I’m really going to be cutting back. And then a cup before bed without any hindrance to my sleep. It will be a change for sure.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos