cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NicMensinga

Take 20...

Hi everyone.. Just wanted to share my smoking story. I started 25 odd years ago at the age of 16. Both my parents smoked. In the house, car etc so it was just part of life I thought. I first wanted to quit when I was about 28. It was hard when I was in my 20's as I drank alcohol/partied quite regularly and it just came with the territory. I think my first stint of quitting was at the age of about 32. That lasted for 2 or so years.. Every time I had major stress or trauma, I would start again. Or too many drinks & I would suddenly be having 'just one'. Soon I was back on the smokes daily. 

I have lost count of how many times I have tried to quit. Cold turkey, patches, hypnosis...

I recently lost the love of my life in a tragic motorbike accident. He was only 39.. It was also I crime as a driver had run him down. Before the accident I was only smoking here and there with a drink as my partner was good at the social smoking thing. He would just hide them when we had finished a few drinks. After he passed, I started up again daily. It's been 8 months now & I have had a week or two here and there where I have worn a nicotine patch and not smoked. I desperately want to stop as it's only making me feel more anxious and depressed. I am constantly told by friends, therapists etc to keep smoking but I am so over it controlling me yet again.

So I had my last smoke this morning and have put a patch on again. Feeling much better already and have had more energy today!!

Has anyone here quit whilst going through major trauma? I figure there's always going to be stress in our lives and if I can do it now, I can do it anytime. 

Thanks for listening

36 Replies
NicMensinga

Thanks Colleen. Yes it's a huge contribution to anxiety and depression for sure. It's the constant cravings/smoking to relieve the cravings cycle that does this I think. You are forever thinking about that next cigarette. It's awful... Do you feel better now? Congrats on keeping at it!! I will take a look at the link. Thanks again

0 Kudos
shashort

Hello and welcome to Ex.  So sorry to hear of your loss, I send my deepest sympathy your way.You know anytime is a good time to quit, as your right, life will happen no matter if we smoke or don't smoke.  For us we have to learn how to live life on life's terms. By the way, smoking doesn't really calm or relieve stress, in fact it causes more stress as we have to keep stopping what we need to do to feed the demon.  Education and knowledge of this addiction is power in learning how to be an EX.  Do read the reading Nancy suggested and read everthing you can including other blogs here which will give you insight as how they dealt with craves.  Great decision on quitting.

NicMensinga

Thank you!! Yes I know I am a much happier person without this crutch. Some days are so gut wrenching though and I get to the point of not caring. I will do my best to stay on here and stay positive! 

0 Kudos
Sootie

No words to express the tragedy of your loss........

Glad you have landed at EX. This is the BEST support site online. Your courage in quitting at this time is admirable AND you are right.....everyone can manage any stress, loss, tragedy without smoking. Non smokers do it. We just have to learn how to do it. Many,many people on here have lost spouses, parents and even children and kept their quit.

Welcome to EX!!! We are all here for each other.

NicMensinga

Thank you!! So far, this blog seems so great! Keeps us all accountable and also gives us the support we need  Onward and upward!! 

0 Kudos
indingrl

WELCOME AND CONGRATS! Thanks for sharing - I was 3 months NICOTINE FREE and MY brother in love was killed by a drunk driver- that's life it doesn't quit just cuz I quit using drug nicotine to cope with ME inside of MY own mind - will- emotion- in MY soul - and YOUR correct - SUDDEN deaths happen to EVERYONE- it is what it is - family have committed suicide from alcohol or drug overdoses- this too shall pass- life goes on good or bad - life on life's terms happens- - SUGGESTED to ME - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER -  OVER ME- just cuz I quit using MY DRUG NICOTINE - life continued and STRESS - CRAP - AND UGLY FACTS OF LIFE KEEP HAPPENING- WE live in a sinful world YET- WE have FREE WILL CHOICES- ME using DRUG NICOTINE - ain't gonna get MY daughter a NEW LIVER- it WILL just kill ME -  so YOUR CHOICE - live FREE or use death sticks to suck the life out of YOU- CHOICES - all on YOU- I was visiting MY daughter in hospital- TODAY -  she has stage 4 liver failure- TRYING to get ON liver list- MY REALITY- just because I am NICOTINE FREE doesn't mean I am exempt from - POOP HAPPENING- IT IS WHAT IT IS- MY belief is MY God has MY daughter's outcome in HIS hands and I TRUST HIM!  - so get ready - LIFE still jumps out of the bushes on MY face- SUDDENLY- I just pray and come here to HELP the NEXT suffering NICOTINE addict- gentle hug- PLEASE take what HELPS and let go of the rest- to be HELPFUL is MY only aim- thank you.

NicMensinga

Thank you.. Yes there is always going to be painful things we have to deal with in life. Being a non-smoker will actually make it easier to cope with to be honest. Hard as I have always used it as a crutch in tough times.. I am really sorry to hear about your daughter.. I hope she gets a transplant and gets well soon. Take care

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Just wanted to stop in and welcome you to the site. This is a good place to be, as the support is amazing here. So very sorry for your loss , my thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this quit journey. You can do this and we all will help you .

NicMensinga

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, my deepest sympathy on your loss, that is so tragic.  Please know that this addiction stuffs our feelings down and never allows us to grow.  We did not learn to deal with feelings like people who were never addicted to anything did...gradually.  Grief is very powerful but you can grow so much from allowing yourself to feel it.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, pay attention to what people are saying and advising.  I quit many times in the past and lost every quit because I did not remain vigilant.  This time I used NOPE, Not One Puff Ever as my mantra and I said it over and over and over again,  I have had my freedom for over five years now but I am paying a heavy price for all of those years I smoked.  I have COPD that steals my breath and my energy....it is progressive and irreversible.  I would never have been able to stay quit without this site.  I came here every morning and every evening and after over five years, I still come here every day if I can.  The support and the education are priceless.

We want you to succeed, we want you to have what WE have...freedom.

Best,

Ellen