cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mark_g

THE EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING........

OK, WHO HAS READ THIS BOOK AND HOW IS IT? I ORDERED IT YESTERDAY AND SHOULD BE ARRIVING ANY DAY NOW...THOUGHTS, DID IT WORK, IS IT WORTH IT?

THANKS Y'ALL.....GOOD LUCK
0 Kudos
12 Replies
raychel

It is a good read but wasn't anything miraculous and mind changing for me. I pretty much knew everything he was saying, it can help to hear somebody else say it, to have it to read over when you are feeling weak willed.
0 Kudos
cindy25

There is a gal here that has some audio for people to listen to. Have you checked that out? In the groups section.

I had already quit before I heard of this book, so it didn't do much for me. I like some of the ideas in it though. I think of things like that as 'tools for the tool belt" and not as 'absolutes". We need all the tools we can get, this is a tough addiction. Use anything and everything to help yourself!
0 Kudos
sarah31

I read the book after I already quit (about a week later) and I really liked it. It might open your eyes to new ways to look at smoking. Or, it will just reinforce your quit and be a good voice in the back of your head! I was glad I read it, and was thinking of reading it again...
0 Kudos
mary-sunshine

I quit after reading this book 2 years ago. I can guarantee you that if I had not read it, I would still be a pack a day smoker. I felt like every fear I had about quitting was addressed and explained with this book. 5 of my friends read it after me and quit as well. I did start smoking again after 8 months and it was the worst thing I ever did. Now I am smoke free again though and still look to the book for encouragement.
0 Kudos
raychel

I'm sorry but I really hate the concept of "if you take a puff ever you will relapse into a full fledge smoker"...I see a lot of it and I am not advocating slips or anything, but I really think it just lays more guilt than necessary on people who mess up. It gives the impression that if you ever screw up...even 10 years after you have been quit..you are basically screwed once again.

Hopefully people never WANT to smoke again after they quit, get past the craves, learn to enjoy life w/o cigs ect. But even a slip doesn't have to turn your into a pack a day smoker again unless you let it. We have some control over this addiction, otherwise we would not be able to quit.

However, the whole point is, we can't turn it on and off at will.
0 Kudos
cindy25

There are no absolutes except that if you don't take another puff, you will never relapse! I think Carr has some really great ideas. I also have seen people smoke like a chimney during and after reading his book. I (personally) have experienced such foggy thinking from withdrawal that I couldn't work. It just reinforces the idea that everyone is a unique individual - even in their addiction to substances. Cookie cutters we are not! Use the good ideas for tools in your quit- skip the rest that doesn't work for you!
0 Kudos
mark_g

I pretty much just joined the support group here, I didnt really follow the actual EX plan, i am just wearing the patch and gettin thru it! best of luck to ya.
0 Kudos
jen-x

My brother-in-law runs a British government funded cessation program based on Carr's work. I know my brother-in-law did use the patches, he has had five years of success himself and has helped many others.
He truely doesn't have an urge even when someone is smoking around him. He has truely conquered this addiction to the point he doesn't desire a smoke.
Practice, peace, you can do this.
0 Kudos
jen-x

It really sounds like you've been quite successful. Congrats. How many years in your quit?
0 Kudos