cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

QuitMeNow

Struggling to quit

I'm failing miserably in my quest to quit. I have cut down but I need to stop and stop now. I'll try to busy myself thereby taking longer to light up, yet and still I light up. I have knee replacement surgery Monday so it's very important that I end this madness now. I don't smoke a whole cigarette at one time but relight it a couple of times. I cannot stand cigarettes. Yet I succumb to the crave. I need help

49 Replies
Lebenn2

To be honest with you I tried that way a million times. I even tried setting timers between cigarettes and I just found myself waiting for the timer. I tried ripping up cigarettes and throwing them out . That stressed me out a lot and made me want to RUN to the gas station to buy more. 

In the end I just stopped . I just said no more . I know that sounds crazy but cold turkey was the only way that worked for me . The other way worked initially but after 3 weeks I relapsed. I’m now coming up on a year quit and while there’s times I get awfully stressed and occasionally think we’ll maybe 1 I can stop myself. 

Mu life is no longer controlled by cigarettes and I don’t need to worry about wether I have them my lighter or if I can smoke where I’m going. 

I left a few in my underwear draw for a few months and I used to go test myself I’d look at them and walk away. It gave me strength knowing I could

i hope some of that helps

QuitMeNow

This is encouraging. I had my surgery Monday. I'm home now and am wearing

the patch. So far so good. Another positive thing is the pain meds help

with cravings as does the pain. The fact that I physically cannot go

anywhere for at least a few weeks.

JACKIE1-25-15

Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Do you have any coloring books or a craft that you enjoy?

0 Kudos
QuitMeNow

I have a couple of books to read and puzzle books as well as designing game

app. I should be good.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 AM JACKIE1-25-15 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org

sweetplt

Glad you are home from the surgery.  Please do not rely on pain killers to help with craves, continue to work the program.  Jackie gave you a great suggestion above me, also how about a jigsaw puzzle and/or game on iPad.  See replace craves and triggers w non addicting things is the goal.  Gotcha in my thoughts and prayers to better days ahead ~ Colleen

Giulia

Glad the surgery is now behind you.  Your body is thanking you for not smoking!   Heal well.

QuitMeNow

Yes it is. I thank you all so very much for the support. It really helps

Barbscloud

Glad the surgery is over and you're on your way to mending.   Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Reach out if you need help.  We're here for you.

Barb.

Lebenn2

How’d your knee surgery go? I hope it’s not too painful. I’m glad to hear it’s going well.

I’ve got hip surgery in a couple of weeks and I’m terrified. Glad I gave up smoking in advance but I’ve got 2 small kids ( one of whom is wheelchair bound and I have to lift every where) .

She is 6 and has a big sister who’s 8 and doesn’t stop running so I’m terrified that it’s gonna be awfully painful and I am gonna have a rough time.

i know I won’t go back to the cigs because my youngest has been in the PICU on deaths door since I quit and I didn’t go back then so I feel pretty confident in my non smoking status. It’s just everything else. 

0 Kudos
QuitMeNow

The surgery went great. Hip surgery is far less painful and quicker

recovery than knees.

You'll be fine.I'll keep you in prayer

0 Kudos