cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kristy6

Still an EX

I had my last cig April 14, 2008. Since then, I have faced many temptations but have luckily been able to overcome them and stay the course.

Having been a daily smoker for more than 15 years, quitting was anything but easy and I had to endure numerous failed attempts before I got to a place where I actually had the DESIRE to quit. That is what makes this time different for me.

Though I have gained some weight since quitting (probably about 10-15 pounds), I think I have managed to stabilize the hunger and have started to work out more frequently in order to combat the weight gain. The weight issue was always one that I used to use as an excuse to keep smoking but now I realize that the weight is something I can control more easily than the smoking.

I'm not sure where the desire came from. I had stopped smoking for a couple of weeks not by choice but because I had suffered from a severe cold that literally prevented me from inhaling (not for lack of trying). Once I felt better, I was immediately tempted to smoke but I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to quit for good. I had felt so sick that it was hard to tell the difference between the nicotine withdrawals and my cold symptoms so by the time I was better, the nicotine had been physically flushed from my system. I knew that having a cigarrette at that point would mean that I would need to endure the physical discomfort all over again if I attempted to quit later on so I decided to save myself the trouble and start retraining myself to live without cigarrettes.

Though at times it has felt like an uphill battle, it has slowly but surely been getting easier. I no longer crave cigarrettes even when I drink coffee or alcohol. The hardest part is probably being around some friends who still smoke but that is also getting easier.

For those of you still struggling with the nicotine demons, don't be discouraged! Take it one day at a time and know that your freedom from this addiction will be well worth every bit of pain, discomfort and frustration that you will inevitably have to face along the way. I wish you all the best of luck in your efforts!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
michelle78

Congratulations on your quit Kristy!!

I have also realized that what made the difference this time is the DESIRE to quit smoking. This time, I wanted it, and I got it!! I also started working out more since I quit smoking. For me, it curbs the cravings, puts me in a better mood, and makes me realize how much better I can breathe without tar in my lungs.

Good for us! We're officially exes!!

I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 2 Days, 22 hours, 40 minutes and 11 seconds (30 days). I have saved $154.71 by not smoking 618 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 3 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/10/2008 11:59 PM
0 Kudos
mel3

Hi Kristy, Welcome! I know how you feel,i haven't had a cig since april 16th,but i smoked 33 years.I understand the coffee and drinking thing too that was one of my fears of quitting,but i can do both and i'm fine.I was just ready to quit and i think someone who talks about quitting has to get to the point where they really hate smoking (the smell,the taste,the dependency feeling)before you can just be done with it.Believe me,i'm still tempted (my husband smokes 2 packs a day,and some of our friends smoke)but when i think about it (a smoke) i get up and do something like start dusting,or go outside and fire up the lawnmower ANYTHING to take my mind off of it.You can do it,your 2 months into now so hang in there and just keep busy.
0 Kudos
nikkie-noodle

Well today make 5 weeks for me, and because of my surgery, I had stopped. I swore I would go back right after surgery, but thought if I could go two weeks, why not quit for good?

Yesterday for some reason was very hard for me. I cried 3x the urge was so bad (maybe because my Husband still smokes)! I really, really wanted to smoke (since I saw him smoking). I talked about it out loud to fight the craving. Thank God I did overcome those demons yesterday. Last night had a pina colada, and was ok! Today is much better. I know I cannot expect this feeling to disappear. I mean after all, I was smoking for 24 years, and never said I was going to quit.

Yes, I am still crabby, and very emotional. I am such a nice person, but currently a wreck! I snap at people, and I find it hard to concentrate lately, my Doctor said maybe I have ADD. From cigarettes?! Are you serious?? I do not want to go back, knowing what you have to go through to overcome this addiction, and I do not want to go through this again.

I just want to be normal and not suffer anymore from this withdrawal. The easiest thing to do, is to go back. The hardest thing to do, is to stay on right track and live better. We can do this!!
0 Kudos
suzy2

...ditto on the exercising -- it's not so bad on the treadmill when you CAN BREATH!!! I've gained a good 15lbs too; and although I really, really, really (!!!) hate that -- I can deal. I think upping the exercise (said as though I was physically active before -- not!), has kept 15lbs from becoming 25.

As for cravings, not too many at this point (I quit April Fool's Day); even around other smokers; but I am finding it increasingly difficult to control them if/when I'm having a few drinks. How's everyone handling that?
0 Kudos
james-romeo

I get the impression that you haven't quit at all, since you're still counting to the second. You may have stopped, but, you're not an EX. I am an EX, since I got off cigs in 1974. I haven't had any withdrawals, or even looked back. The only reason I remember the day is the strange events the moment I stopped. Then 4 days later when I realized I was free.
You can also be set free, or delivered of it.
0 Kudos
angelquit

Congrats on your quit. Keep it up. And I couldn't have exoressed what you said any better. Take care and Great Job! Angelquit - Free and Healing for Three Months, Fifteen Days, 21 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2158 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $401.00.
0 Kudos