cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ellen5

Hello, fellow closet smokers!!!!

Oh, BOY, am I glad I found you! Where have you been hiding? Oh, that's right, in the closet...
I have been in the closet for about six months now, after a botched quit attempt and the desire to avoid the wrath of my teenage daughter. Boy, does hiding take alot of work! I couldn't plan a weekend away with my daughter because I had to know I could smoke, I would wake up earlier than her then sneak outside, have a butt then vigorously brush my teeth, wash my hands and face and change clothing just to get rid of any telltale evidence. I'm divorced, so when she was at her Dad's house, I would smoke in the house with all the windows open, then the next day, I would take the trash with me so she couldn't see or smell the old butts. Ugh. I'm only on Day Three but I think with the help of this website (thank GOD, someone finally has a sense of humor about quitting!) and you all, I have a chance!
Nice to meet you all finally!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
renee3

Hi Ellen Gosh its like reading my own writing LOL. I started back after stopping and felt so bad and didnt want any one to know. I took lots of car rides with fabrez and lots of gum washed my face and sucked on mints Or like you said sneaking out of the house. LOLOL I grounded my kids for that..And the sad thing is Im 44 the last time I checked my birth records. But I didnt want to let any one down. Sadest but true I have only been letting myself down. Everyone would probly except if I started again But I wouldnt. I will always want to be smoke free. I hate that something that isnt even in Fashon ,doesnt smell good and isnt welcomed in most places I go controls me.and I dont want to be withdraw addicted either.And I hate telling anyone I smoke not that you cant tell by my smokers cough, Ahhhhhh But I do love your since of humor. and wish you all the best in all your efforts . Look forward to getting to know you
0 Kudos
ellen5

Thanks, Renee! I wish I could say I've been successful with my quit, but I really think that it is harder (believe it or not) for us closet smokers. Because we don't smoke so often that we get disgusted with it and we don't get the support from anyone because no one KNOWs and because there is the added excitement of doing something "naughty". I haven't been able to break the drinking and smoking connection. But I am going to keep trying. Nice to "meet" you!
0 Kudos
cindy25

I think it is way harder. I think it is about the sneakiness / rebel -thing. For me, it was not even a conscious thing, but cigarettes just TASTED better if I knew I could only have one before getting home. It is the 'scarcity of resources" phenomenon. Makes things harder and makes it easier for us to "sneak" ourselves into sabotaging our quits.
0 Kudos
angelquit

Boy did you hit the hammer right on the nail. I couldn't have said it better. Closet smoking takes alot of work and it is a pain in the BUTT. But quitting is do able and well worth it. Keep up the great job and think positive. Keep in touch. Angelquit - Free and Healing for Three Months, Fourteen Days, 15 Hours and 41 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2133 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $396.35.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Ah, I couldn't have said it better myself, Cindy. Because we "closet smokers" ARE able to go long periods without smoking, we, or at least I, can fool myself into thinking that I may, in fact, be a "social smoker". LOL, like there is such a thing amongst us hardcore smokers. I like your "scarcity of resources" theory. I find myself getting panicky if I can't work at least one cigarette into my day.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Thanks for the encouragement, ANGELQUIT! I have reset my quit date to my birthday on July 21. What are you gonna do with all that money you saved????
0 Kudos