cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nettrice

Smoking Partners

mh, thanks for the post Jim, I agree totally, but that is not my point/problem.
  The thing is I want to help my love you know I want him to be able to breathe better and desintoxificate of cigarettes and co as well. I want our future children to grow up in an addicction-free environment.. I guess my quit is actually motivating me and him alike to a new kind of lifestyle, and awakening on all levels...
  of course I leave it up to him and am patient.. it seems like he likes my example and is starting to think about quitting himself though, I am not pushing him to do anything, everybody at his own pace... anybody else any other motivation techniques???
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
101 Replies
cosmoqueen

Thanks Bobbie.  I  now see that I will be able to handle it too - every day brings another challenge and yet another realization of how strong we are.  That which doesn't kill us really does make us stronger.  Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
belisle

My ex SO thinks he's exempt from the accumulative effects of smoking. He's preaching to me today about my health problems. He smokes more than I ever thought to, and I try to mention that my health problems literally popped up overnight. Doesn't mean doodly to him, hence the "ex" in SO. Looking for some support, should I keep catching crap from him, I'll be back! Thanks

0 Kudos
rayasunshine

I quit almost 5 days ago and my boyfriend was going to try to quit with me but he isn't ready. So, he still smokes. I'm okay with it. He smokes in front of me and it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Well, not yet anyway. What does bother me is when I wanted one SO bad yesterday he kept telling me that I'm doing good and he's proud of me and so on. I don't want to hear that from him. He doesn't know how hard this is. He still smokes!! Is it wrong that I feel that way? Or am I insane? Shouldn't I just be happy that hes being supportive? I have no idea at this point.

0 Kudos
hhize

Hello! I am quitting for the 2nd time. My husband I smoked through high school, college and the beginning of our married life. We both quit 7 years ago when we were going to start our family. We now have a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Unfortunatley, we both started smoking socially about 2 years ago and that has turned into full time smoking. I quite on Dec. 28th so 16 days smoke free. My husband is still smoking but has cut back to 4-5 a day. My kids don't know - in fact no one really knows we are smoking again except a few smoker friends. It makes it so hard when he goes out to smoke and I am left inside wishing I was outside smoking with him. It was really our time to sit back and relax together. Glad we can help support each other. Heidi

0 Kudos
hhize

Hello fellow Christians! I am a mommy in my mid 30's quitting for the 2nd time. My husband I smoked through high school, college and the beginning of our married life. We both quit 7 years ago when we were going to start our family. We now have a 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter. Unfortunatley, we both started smoking socially about 2 years ago and that has turned into full time smoking. I quite on Dec. 28th so 16 days smoke free. My husband is still smoking but has cut back to 4-5 a day. My kids don't know - in fact no one really knows we are smoking again except a few smoker friends. There is so much shame in this habit, especially in the Christian community. I hope we can all help each other. Heidi

0 Kudos
hhize

Sorry about the double post! Brain isn't working as well without nicotine. Heidi

0 Kudos
janine7

Hi everybody!  My name is Janine.  I'm quitting tomorrow (Jan. 18th) and my significant other is not.  I'm worried how I'm going to get through the first couple of days with him smoking around me all the time!  I want him to quit too but noone is going to stop smoking until they are ready.  Well, I'm ready!  I'm 38 years old and have been smoking since I was 14.  I'm so sick of it!  I hate being a slave to it and feeling like I can't function without a damn smoke every 15 minutes!  Right now, I need to keep the focus on me and what I'm trying to do to better myself.  Any suggestions on how to get started??? 

0 Kudos
janine7

Okay, so my new quit date is March 3rd.  I tried going cold turkey this morning and that lasted only an hour.  I decided to go back to the beginning and do alittle prep work.  It's hard enough trying to quit after smoking for 20+ years, but having a partner that has no intention on quitting and smokes around me all the time makes it even harder.  I can't force him to stop if he's not ready, but I can work on me alittle more.  I decided to try to keep track of how many cigarettes I smoke everyday and do some of the separation exercises suggested on this site.  I really want to quit!  It's just so hard....

0 Kudos
Rick_M

Hey Janine, I quit last year, best move I ever made. My wife still smokes but only outside. It did make my quit harder but I also think it  made me stronger. You have to really want to quit or you are doomed from the start. Quit for you, that's how it works. You want to better yourself and not smoking is a real good place to start.

Read as much as you can on this site and check out Whyquit.com. It is rough at the start but once you get going you will get stronger everyday.    Get a few days under your belt and you will start to realize all the good things about not smoking. Before long you feel better and you will be glad to be rid of them.   I wish you well.

0 Kudos
amber6

I am so frustrated with myself!  I am back to playing the "after this pack i am done" game.

0 Kudos