cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nettrice

Smoking Partners

mh, thanks for the post Jim, I agree totally, but that is not my point/problem.
  The thing is I want to help my love you know I want him to be able to breathe better and desintoxificate of cigarettes and co as well. I want our future children to grow up in an addicction-free environment.. I guess my quit is actually motivating me and him alike to a new kind of lifestyle, and awakening on all levels...
  of course I leave it up to him and am patient.. it seems like he likes my example and is starting to think about quitting himself though, I am not pushing him to do anything, everybody at his own pace... anybody else any other motivation techniques???
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
101 Replies
jagrrr

Hello! My husband also smokes, I've weakly tried to quit many times over the last 42 years. Stress is the usal trigger. Funny, I'm strong in other areas of my life, I've survived many stressful situations, execept my own health. Hard for me to understand this. I haven't set a quite date yet, feel like a phony after trying this suggestion before and failing. Glad that I found this sight for inspiration though.

0 Kudos
gilabh

Hi, I have been smoking since I was 12 now 36 my husband of 20 years is not trying to stop smoking I have only been smoke free for 2 days. For me thats alot. It is very hard for me to not smoke while there is 2 other people in my house that smoke. that along with 5 children 4 in the house 1 in the army Im trying not to be ill and snap everyones head off so Im turning to the computer to talk to others who can understand my frustration. I am not going to fail ay this this time. I cant. Anyone have any advice on these cravings?

0 Kudos
amber6

Welcome! I created this group because I am setting my quit date...again.  I have tried many times and failed, and one of my big problems lately is the fact that I go to my boyfriends and he smokes in the house and it is just soooo easy to just grab one of his or send him to the store to get me a pack. He has tried to quit before, but we never set our quit dates at the same time so we both end up being triggers for one another! But for the week he is out of town and I am determined to get through my third day (always my down fall) before he gets back, that way I am just a tad stronger when he gets back!

0 Kudos
cosmoqueen

Well good luck to you Amber...and you have quite a challenge!   I quit on 11/23 only because I couldn't inhale a cig.  I was so sick with chronic bronchitis that it was painful and I choked my brains out...so I actually could not smoke.  I had to get on steroid medication for a week to make that pain, while inhaling even air, stop!  I have no desire to smoke.  I am having some heavy duty withdrawal symptoms but that is to be expected when you have smoked for 25 years!  My energy level is on high constantly, I am always moving and thinking and very impatient.  I hear that this will go away soon....I don't know how soon as it almost a month for me.   My boyfriend still smokes, but I have asked him to go outside and he has complied with the new rules of my apt.   I guess it matters who owns the place you live in.  I think if he sees you not smoking, he will start to feel funny and strange smoking in front of you and will go somewhere else to smoke.  Be strong girl, it is so worth it.  I have COPD, but now I can actually take a deep breath and it feel soooooooooo  good!!!  

0 Kudos

Setting my quit date - AGAIN.  Quit for 1 year and 11 months.  Stress, lack of work and the fact that my husband still smoked made it real easy for me to just pick up one of his cigarettes.  This time, he has at least agreed not to smoke around the house and won't leave his cigs on the work bench.  My neice and son are also quitting with me so I'll have a great support system.  Thanks for this group - SO's will make you or break you.

0 Kudos
iufanbball

I have a quit date for tomorrow, Dec 21. My wife refuses to even try to quit. I have a tough road ahead. How does one deal with trying to quit while watching your significant other smoke? any ideas?

0 Kudos
lovinsunshine

Glad to find this place.  i have been smoke free for 20 days today.  my so was quitting with me and decided on day one ti was too much and is still smoking.  making a it a little difficult for me but i have decided that no matter what i am not going to smoke.  he says that jan 1st will be his day to stop but i can only hope right?  i love being a non smoker.....

0 Kudos
Rick_M

IUF, I quit in Apr. my wife continued her smoking. Nobody will quit until they are ready. She only smokes outside so for me I still managed to quit. At first it was a distraction but over time I simply paid no attention to it.

There are always going to be old smoking reminders you will learn to deal with after you quit. I give small reminders about how good it feels to not be a slave to the addiction and I think she is starting to come around with a future quit. You might be surprised set the example and they will follow. I wish you well. 

0 Kudos
rebduncan85

how do you guys handle that your so still smokes? do they go into another room or outside? mine wont work with me. hes gonna still smoke in front of me. which sucks. any advise?

0 Kudos
tammyv1971

I am in. I have recently quit (about a week ago). My husband and I happened to catch a bad cold at the same time and didn't smoke for the first 6 days  - he bought a pack yesterday.

0 Kudos