cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nettrice

Smoking Partners

mh, thanks for the post Jim, I agree totally, but that is not my point/problem.
  The thing is I want to help my love you know I want him to be able to breathe better and desintoxificate of cigarettes and co as well. I want our future children to grow up in an addicction-free environment.. I guess my quit is actually motivating me and him alike to a new kind of lifestyle, and awakening on all levels...
  of course I leave it up to him and am patient.. it seems like he likes my example and is starting to think about quitting himself though, I am not pushing him to do anything, everybody at his own pace... anybody else any other motivation techniques???
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
101 Replies
billie-jo

Hi there to you all. I'm Billie-Jo and I have smoked for about 27 years. I have been quit this time for 8 days, and as the group is entitled, my husband still smokes. I went the auriculotherapy way and it has helped me a lot. The first time I quit with any success was cold turkey Dec. 31, 1998 and it lasted for a yr and a half, ya stupid me started up again and this is gonna be my, oh about 4th attempt but final one. I'm jus looking for friends and support how about any of you?
0 Kudos
billie-jo

Hi everyone (or is anyone here?). I'd love to chat with some ppl but i dont know how this site works yet. lol, sorry. If there is anyone here who can guide me thru how to chat here i'd appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Denise28

Just wanted to let you all know, that my husband smoking doesn't bother me anymore. When he does it in front of me now, it's ok with me. It doesn't cross my mind anymore for me to want to take a puff either.
0 Kudos
yagna

I am not a very heavy smoker. I started to smoke with my husband, when we were in college. Now we smoke everyday, and together. He also smokes alone. None of my friends or coworkers smoke. So he is my only trigger. I have asked him repeatedly to help me quit, but he tells me it is more difficult for him than for me...anyway, I wake up every morning, deciding today is the day, then find him smoking all day long in front of my nose, and finally I lose my resolve...I really cannot be nonchalant to his habits and ignore it...I get very very mad and frustrated....please provide me your help and tips...I have been smoking for the last 4 years, and married for the same number of years as well...I want to have kids only when we both are nicotine free....please provide me with yopur experiences
0 Kudos

Hi Yagna,
  Quitting is a very private decision ... it is so difficult when you want to stop, I cannot imagine when you don't 😉 ... for you husband, I might be impossible.

I've quit 52 days ago (I have smoked for about 28 years) and my wife continues smoking ... I've just asked her to smoke outside our house.
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Oh I HATE my sense of smell.
  Been a year and a half now since I smoked and now I swear I can smell her car as it comes up the driveway.
  It is in her hair and every stitch of clothing. She gets the smell on our youngest daughter. She smokes on the porch near the door and it blows into the house. It is awful!
0 Kudos
tonya5

Hi everyone!  My name is Tonya, I have two beautiful little girls that are 6 and 3.  I just turned 30 on the 15th.  I wanted my gift to myself to be to Stop Smoking!  I have to admit that I am having a very hard time with this as my husband is also a smoker and is just not ready to quit right now.  I understand and respect his decision as I know that not smoking is a very personal and hard decision for each person to make on their own.  I have tried to stop smoking many many times before to no avail and I kind of feel that it is because I don't really feel as though I can quit as long as he is still smoking.  Pathetic I know but none the less very true for me.  I am looking for support to make it through this time and never to pick another ciggeratte up again.  I have some health issues which I know that if I continue to smoke I may not live long enough to see my girls grow up and have children of their own some day.  I am looking for any feed back from anyone that has been in my shoes and also looking for someone to vent to at times that understands that venting is something that we just have to do sometimes in order to make it through one day without a cigg.

0 Kudos
irenekk

I had decided to try to quit a week ago yesterday.  Just joined tonight.  I have slipped up over the weekend, (failing to put the patch on) I am finding it hard when I do forget to use the patch not smoke those one or two cigs on the days I forget the patch.  Like others, my husband has no intention of quitting either.  At least we did agree to smoke outside once we had children 13 years ago. oops did I say that, yes i have been a smoker alot longer than that.  Recently I was forced to take a really close look at my life.  The average of $9.50 per pack of cigs for one pack a day, asthma, bladder problems, now recently reflux and after an injury to my foot finding a bloodclot in my leg that took me out of work for 2.5 weeks.  Sitting around made me really think.  I am doing very well but know the feeling of being around a spouse who doesn't want to quit makes it really hard.  But I keep telling myself that if I can beat this (the smoking) I can beat anything.  That is what is really making me want to quit.  Lots of issues in my personal relationship with my spouse and it just seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel.  QUIT.... And you will succeed at ANYTHING!  Good luck to everyone~  I am relying on the support here because I don't get it where I need it most.... HOME.

0 Kudos
tempest2

Hi All! I have set my quit date and with the help of the calender my day will be February 15th. It was suggested because I habe some major life changing events during the next two months. My husband is my trigger.  I have been smoking for 10 years quit during that time for 2 years once.  My husband has smoked for  30 plus years he has no intention of quitting. As he put it he has tried and failed and he is too old to quit now. (He is 62) I am 40.  He is the only smoker that I am around. I only smoke at home. The worst part is that I smoke in secret. I am a healthcare professional and I know better.  Lord admitting this is hard. I know he will not smoke outside

0 Kudos
snina

hi ,i have been wanting to quit for a long time my hubbie will not even though we promised our 11 year old daughter we would i really want to keep that . i am 44 i no longer work and the only one i have around me is him he's 47, i quit for 5 days but when he comes in the house i go crazy like it's crack or something,i do good all day but when walks in all willpower is gone.my health has gone down hill latly i can't catch a breath and cough all the time ,and of course we have no heath insurance for me.sorry for the wining .

0 Kudos