cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DOCmarkC

Sheesh. Now what?

OK, so I quit. I stopped. I don't anymore. Wow.. What a relief.

The cigarettes are gone. The ashtrays are gone. I am slowly washing the stink out of my clothing and the car. I wake up in the morning and remember that I don't smoke. I remember again after breakfast. Again when I get in the car to go to work. I don't smoke when I get to the parking lot at work or when I walk to the front door.
After working a couple hours I remember that I don't go on a smoke break, and after a stack of paperwork I don't reward myself with a quick smoke. I don't start lunch or end it with a trip outside. My afternoon break has nothing to do with smoking, and I don't light up as I leave the building to go home. I remember several times that I am not smoking as I drive home and I do not light up as I get home or even after dinner.
At bedtime, I relax by remembering that I do not have a smoke before bed or even while relaxing in the hot tub with a nice adult beverage.
The next morning I start over not doing it again.
OK, I swear I am not going to put myself through the three day hell of detoxing again, but damn. When do I stop having to remind myself all day long that I don't smoke?
0 Kudos
57 Replies
doris2

I have smoked for over 30 years, and I am using 4mg nicorette gum, seems to be helping. I know what you mean hour by hour, Thank you!
0 Kudos
doris2

Did you use anything to help you quit?
0 Kudos
barbara6

before my husband passed , we had started taking Chantix, so i just keep taking it.
0 Kudos
doris2

Yes my husband tried that last year and should of did all the stages but didn't, our insurance does not cover it, imagine that. They want you to quit but dont want to help with it. Does that help you? Thinking about getting on it, but have heard so many negatives about it? So far the patches and gum are working, but am getting tired of the gum already. Second day!!!!
0 Kudos
barbara6

i also chew gum to keep something in my mouth when i think i want a one. i do not really crave cigarette any more , it is just the habit of smoking that i have to deal with. in fact they stink to me now. i keep my self busier so i won't think about lighting up.
0 Kudos
doris2

That's the whole thing, the habit of smoking, with coffee, driving, talking on the phone, have to relearn all of that.
0 Kudos
lana2

Good morning. to a new day being smoke free. Thanks for all the comments. it is nice to be sharing.
I am on my 9th week now and it is getting easier....i have slipped three times. but pick myself up and not smoke. actually here is what is cool. Because i choose to not smoke, i have not smoked 630 cigarettes. that is in 9 week.s

that is actually gross when you think that had i not made this decision, i would have 630 nicotine, smoke crap in my body. I can breathe better obviously. Have an awesome day and CHOOSE to not smoke.
doris2

Thank you so much, and for looking at it that way, how many cigarettes I will have smoked in that period of time. It's only my second day but think I can whip this, hope, hope. Again thanks for you words!
0 Kudos
lana2

actually think i have this figured out...who i am responding to . i have the connection....Doris on day two.
How long have you smoked? the first couple of days for me were an hour at a time. Are you using COMMIT or nicorette? I used COMMIT logenzes...they worked so wonderful for me.. every couple of hours i put one in my
mouth...and there was absolutely no craving......
YOu go girl!!!!
Later,
0 Kudos
roberta

I'm still saying all those things and I quit 3 months ago. I keep wondering when I'll start feeling as good as I did when I was smoking. I didn't quit smoking for health reasons - I'm in very good health - but since quitting, I've never felt so "unwell".
0 Kudos