cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DOCmarkC

Sheesh. Now what?

OK, so I quit. I stopped. I don't anymore. Wow.. What a relief.

The cigarettes are gone. The ashtrays are gone. I am slowly washing the stink out of my clothing and the car. I wake up in the morning and remember that I don't smoke. I remember again after breakfast. Again when I get in the car to go to work. I don't smoke when I get to the parking lot at work or when I walk to the front door.
After working a couple hours I remember that I don't go on a smoke break, and after a stack of paperwork I don't reward myself with a quick smoke. I don't start lunch or end it with a trip outside. My afternoon break has nothing to do with smoking, and I don't light up as I leave the building to go home. I remember several times that I am not smoking as I drive home and I do not light up as I get home or even after dinner.
At bedtime, I relax by remembering that I do not have a smoke before bed or even while relaxing in the hot tub with a nice adult beverage.
The next morning I start over not doing it again.
OK, I swear I am not going to put myself through the three day hell of detoxing again, but damn. When do I stop having to remind myself all day long that I don't smoke?
0 Kudos
57 Replies
lana2

Hello everyone. HOpe everyone is doing well today. Today I have not had any COMMIT logenges....it is kind of bothering me, but I am thinking it so actually pretty good to be missing the COMMIT and not cigarettes. I have one
COMMIT left, those things are expensive. I plan on just not sucking on it. I walked this morning, got my endorphins working, and will now cross stitch this afternoon. keep my hands busy. Have an awesome day. Later,
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Well that is sweet!

Exactly what I did with the last of my smokes. I had them but just didn't smoke them.

I hit 4 weeks this morning. Doing well. I still miss cigarettes sometimes, but no longer is it the primary feeling all the time.

Mark is smoke-free and healing for the last Twenty Seven Days, 14 Hours and 38 Minutes, while extending his life expectancy 2 Days and 9 Hours, by skipping 690 smokes and saving at least $181.40.
0 Kudos
lana2

Barbara....Hello. you can smoke today.....and not tomorrow....please please please come back....it can't be that easy to jsut start smoking again.
if i would have gotten cigarettes, i would have been just as crazy smoking them......Barbara, what makes it so that you are smoking? How long had you not smoked.....
Seriously....i find it hard to understand how you can just smoke and be OK with it......It can not be so easy.....Will i drive by a store...and see you out smoking in the heat. and you will stink and all the smoke will get in your hair?
Dang it. I probably wouldn't be so vocal except today i struggled. When i know others are struggling and making it, and supporting each other....it so helps.....later.
0 Kudos
DOCmarkC

Well here it is. BIrthday day. No smoking, not even any real urge to do so. Sometimes a twinge, and I do still think about smoking when the triggers come up.

It is certanly nice to have this level of confidence.

Mark is smoke-free and healing for the last Twenty Eight Days, 22 Hours and 32 Minutes, while extending his life expectancy 2 Days and 12 Hours, by skipping 723 smokes and saving at least $190.14.
0 Kudos
debbie11

hmmm...I have been reading some of your replies and thought I would put my 2 cents worth out of what i have saved by not smoking.
I am doing Chantix. My quit date was Feb 29 but I slipped for about 2 weeks then decided to put them down and not ever pick them up. Now this was really hard since I started smoking at 13. I smoked for 41 years. Do the math...
My habits have pretty much gone now but I do don't know what to do with myself. We complain about time but now I have extra time and don't know what to do with it. Sounds crazy huh? You can't keep rewarding yourself with food. I have gained 13 pounds since quitting.
Thought about cigarettes....Well we have all joined this site and talk about them or read about them everytime we come here. What does that tell you? It tells me that I need this site to talk it out and talk about ciagarettes often. But it also tells me that I will leave you all when I feel that I don't need you any more. So right now we will all enjoy ourselves, moan and groan, and complain and then one day...poof....we will be gone.

Smoke free for 3 weeks and 3 days
0 Kudos
julie39

Soon we all hope. It is a constant struggle for me as well, but there are some times that I dont have to remind myself. Hang in there, and remember you have come this far.
0 Kudos
ashley34

That is so true, i feel like i think about cigarettes more than i did when i was actually smoking them.
its hell to break your natural habits in the car, on your lunch break, after every meal etc etc.
but i have to agree that when i go to sleep every night, i take a deep (clear) breath and know ive passed another day of this man-eating addiction.
i wish you the best of luck!!!
0 Kudos
lana2

Another day for me also. SMOKE FREE. spent two days with my friend who i only see once every few months. this was the first time she had been with me since i haven't smoked. it was a new thing for both of us. she was use to me wanting to go out and smoke.
It was powerful to be in control and not take away from our time....was one more step with one more person who has only known me as a smoker and i am not now!!
Yea. take care.
0 Kudos