cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Guerline04

Scared to start

Jump to solution

Ian terrified I won’t have them when I need it. I’ve put off my quit date several times.  I have new one for Saturday, didn’t want to start during a stressful week.

hoping praying I can do this

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

@Guerline04 I understand how you feel.  Getting past that first day can be a challenge, but you can do it.

I "played around" for 50 years, but never did the work to actually quit.  At least 7 times I'd pick a quit date, buy an aid and blindly tried to quit.  I would only make it a short time.  Once for a month, but usually just a few days.  

I finally learned how to quit.  For me it was a smoking cessation class, two aids (Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers), cutting down for a week on a strict schedule and fortunately finding the Ex a week prior to my quit.   I signed up for daily Ex texts and read material on the site.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan in place as to how I would cope with the daily ups and downs of life.  I learned about creating new associations instead of smoking--for example I started drinking my coffee on the Ex instead of sitting on the porch every morning with my dog.  

It takes work, but the quitters  on this site are proof it can be done.   Remember, you only have to quit for one day.  That is you're goal for now.  Don't overwhelm yourself with thinking about forever.  With each new day of success you're confidence with grow. 

We've smoked for every activity and emotion, good or bad, so it makes sense we fear the unknown.  Approaching your quit one date at a time helps to alleviate the fear. 

Take the first step and stay close.  Being on the site everyday early on really makes a difference.  Just reach out anytime you feel like smoking.

And Take the Daily Pledge to make the commitment each day that you won't smoke keeps you on track.

We're here to support you.

Barbscloud_0-1651070352301.jpeg

Barb

View solution in original post

Susan59

I agree with Barb.  It takes a plan and it takes support.  I quit many many times but finally I found this place, used the patch, found other quit resources online and just worked to quit the final time.  I gave myself no slack and stuck to the mantra of 'N.O.P.E'  Not one puff ever. It all starts with the first day.    Its been over 14 years and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family.  Using the patch or another nicotine aid helped me greatly.  There is no reason to go cold turkey if you can supplement your quitting with aids.  I was on the patch for 10 weeks and that kept me quit while I worked through the other issues.  You will be happy for the time you now will have and the money you will save.

Below is my quit counter stats that I look at all the time to remind me of my success.  You can do this!

Susan - Free and Healing for Fourteen Years, Two Months, Sixteen Days, 21 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 324 Days and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 93436 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $30,589.89.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Barbscloud

@Guerline04 I understand how you feel.  Getting past that first day can be a challenge, but you can do it.

I "played around" for 50 years, but never did the work to actually quit.  At least 7 times I'd pick a quit date, buy an aid and blindly tried to quit.  I would only make it a short time.  Once for a month, but usually just a few days.  

I finally learned how to quit.  For me it was a smoking cessation class, two aids (Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers), cutting down for a week on a strict schedule and fortunately finding the Ex a week prior to my quit.   I signed up for daily Ex texts and read material on the site.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan in place as to how I would cope with the daily ups and downs of life.  I learned about creating new associations instead of smoking--for example I started drinking my coffee on the Ex instead of sitting on the porch every morning with my dog.  

It takes work, but the quitters  on this site are proof it can be done.   Remember, you only have to quit for one day.  That is you're goal for now.  Don't overwhelm yourself with thinking about forever.  With each new day of success you're confidence with grow. 

We've smoked for every activity and emotion, good or bad, so it makes sense we fear the unknown.  Approaching your quit one date at a time helps to alleviate the fear. 

Take the first step and stay close.  Being on the site everyday early on really makes a difference.  Just reach out anytime you feel like smoking.

And Take the Daily Pledge to make the commitment each day that you won't smoke keeps you on track.

We're here to support you.

Barbscloud_0-1651070352301.jpeg

Barb

Guerline04

How lovely thank you 

Susan59

I agree with Barb.  It takes a plan and it takes support.  I quit many many times but finally I found this place, used the patch, found other quit resources online and just worked to quit the final time.  I gave myself no slack and stuck to the mantra of 'N.O.P.E'  Not one puff ever. It all starts with the first day.    Its been over 14 years and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and my family.  Using the patch or another nicotine aid helped me greatly.  There is no reason to go cold turkey if you can supplement your quitting with aids.  I was on the patch for 10 weeks and that kept me quit while I worked through the other issues.  You will be happy for the time you now will have and the money you will save.

Below is my quit counter stats that I look at all the time to remind me of my success.  You can do this!

Susan - Free and Healing for Fourteen Years, Two Months, Sixteen Days, 21 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 324 Days and 10 Hours, by avoiding the use of 93436 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $30,589.89.

Barbscloud

@Susan59 Congrats on 14+ years.  That's fabulous.   Nice of you to stop by to encourage new quitters. 

Barb

Guerline04

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Dbls77

I was terrified at the thought of quitting smoking.   I would get anxiety just from reading about it, picking a quit date, the whole thing.  You are at the right place to start.  It helps a lot to blog how you feel, ask questions,  get support and encouragement from this site,  especially from those who have been where you are.   Pray on it.  Don't be hard on yourself.   Remember one day at a time, and don't give up!  We are all here helping one another  and rooting for each other.  Best of luck to you!

Barbscloud

@Guerline04 How are you doing?  Did Saturday happen for you?

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

If you are terrified to start and have put off your quit date, consider spending some time making a strong plan that is just right for you. No one needs to smoke--unfortunately it's an addiction and that is the reason we all felt a need to smoke. You break the addiction one step at a time, one day at a time. Anyone is capable of quitting, but making your very own plan--what you will do other than other than reach for a smoke--something you must decide. Will you walk, play video games, chew on gum, get creative? What ever you choose to focus on must be your decision. 

If you are focusing only on how terrified you are, time to sit down with pen and paper (the old fashioned way) and write out a few ideas for your success. Yes you can do this.

0 Kudos