cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nysusan5

quit

Hi all   i quit 1 and one half year ago after smoking for over four decades.  i did it by going cold turkey.  as you see i was diagnoised with copd and it caused my lung to collaspe.  When i faced the consequences of my smoking i felt a fool for big tobaco.   Getting sick from cigarettes cost me a job etc.  I had two choices continue to smoke and end up on o2 pretty quick or stay alive.  I rather stay alive.  I was so worried about how i was going to do it because cigarettes were like a friend i had for years could depend on them always there.  Like something that has died i let them go.  Rode out the withdrawels with welcome because with each one it was a reminder of lung function improving.  so for each of us the best method of quitting is whatever works best for you.  You can live without cigarettes you cant live with them.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linda142

Hi, please come and join us on the Blogs, we all hang out there. Your story could be an inspiration to a Newbie to actually quit, so I look forward to seeing you there.

0 Kudos
pamigirl126

Reading nysusan'post kinda made me more than stupid.  Coming from NYC going to restaurants and at that time be able to smoke n socialize was so different.  I've kicked before. Cold turkey,  being pregnant, three times. Easy breezy.  Not this time.  Should have quit ages sgo. Here's where the fun starts. should. I should have quit once I knew I had lupus. I'll cut down. Or I'll only smoke after seven. Lies. Now in my fifties I get lung cancer. NYU isn't a ten minute cab ride or 20 minute bus ride up second Ave it is the sticks and u r looking at a twenty minute ambulance ride cause u feel yr chest caving in and yr temperature is rising and then the sweats start. And I love my family. My husband and support family.  My two daughters, my son, all young adults. First time moms. My son just had a boy. Finally. Lol. What's wrong w me. I have this crap in my life n smoke ,a puff puff here, here a puff,puff, there a puff.and we know the rest. This is what gets me insane. To be a advocate for lupus, a wife, a mom, a grandmother.  Which I love. N my grandkids are babies. Best part of our lives. What ever happened to good decision makers? I couldn't write this except for a place like here where I feel I can text anything. For some reason I feel like a belong here. I'm seeing the cancer Dr Monday morning. How can I look this man dead in the eye and lie. For the first time in my life I feel like a pigeon pooping on someone's head. I'm so dazed n confused. I do not like myself AR all

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@pamigirl126 Good morning.   I see you found a post that hit home with you.  It's from 2011 so  don't know if you'll receive an acknowledgement from this person.  

There's nothing to feel stupid about.  We're addicted to a chemical that was designed to addict us. But I saw that you started your quit again.  That's the important thing.   I thought you mentioned the lung cancer before.  What is your status?  

It's great that you want to quit for your family, but how about quitting for you. It's your health and your life that's in jeopardy.   There are not guarantees that we won't get lung cancer even if we quit.  But we can at least do our best to hopefully prevent it. 

Why would you lie to the doctor?  He'd probably know anyway and the more information he has, the better he can treat you.   I know we feel foolish that we didn't do something sooner, but you're no different than many of us.  It took me 50 years to finally quit.  Don't look back.  Do what you can about your future.

Please let me know how it goes with the doctor today.  Keeping you in my thoughts.

You can do this.  Stay close and use the site for the support that can help you be success.

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

@pamigirl126 Understand that smoking is part addiction not just a habit.  Know the LAW!   Quitting takes commitment Keep it simple Revised 

0 Kudos