cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cmsullivan

Relapse

Fell off the wagon a while ago. Kind of quit on quitting . im ready to restart the process and it seems harder than ever . pretty much ashamed . does anyone have any tips or tricks to get over the shame and restart the process

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
40 Replies

Your turnip truck is parked, mine isn't.

slow it down first.gif

0 Kudos

Cripes!  It's no wonder you fell off!

!!!

0 Kudos

Yes, I left out the fact it was an airborne overhead TURBO turnip truck.

0 Kudos
bonniebee

hahaha you guys are to much !!!

0 Kudos
elvan

Education, support, and commitment are the three magic keys to freedom.  You have to forgive yourself, guilt is an entirely useless emotion.  I know because I carry a LOT of guilt around with me all of the time.  Guilt for ever having smoked, guilt for the lost moments I cannot get back, guilt for the way I ALLOWED my body to be ravaged by tobacco, yadayadayada, blah, blah, blah.  If I had not found this site I suspect I would have gone back to smoking and I seriously doubt that I would even be alive today.  This is a one day at a time journey...one step at a time...sometimes they have to be baby steps and sometimes a whole day is too long and it has to be an hour or a minute or a second.  The acronym that I found here that seriously saved me was NOPE, Not One Puff Ever!  I said it a LOT.  I tracked my cigarettes before I quit, I figured out when I smoked, wrote it down and wrote down WHY and how strong the trigger was...next to all of those triggers, I wrote down what I could do INSTEAD of smoking.  I also did something I had never done before, I made a promise to myself that if I could REALLY, REALLY find a reason that smoking would help or change something in my life for the better, I would give in. It has been 3 years and close to 4 months of freedom and believe me, I have had many challenges but I KNEW that smoking would not make anything better, smoking never did in the past, why would it now?  I was convinced that smoking helped my physical pain, helped me to get past stress, helped me to not feel sad or angry...the truth was and IS that it never did anything FOR me but it sure did a lot TO me.  I do not want to be a smoker, I do not want to feel like something is controlling me that I have no control over.  The truth is that we ALWAYS had control, we just CHOSE to give in to old ways of dealing with things.  Quitting is a journey and it is not just about getting away from the cigarettes, it is also a journey to get to know ourselves.  I have found out many things about myself that I did not know...I have FINALLY begun to grow up and deal with life on life's terms.

Do the reading, make yourself a quit kit, set a date, no excuses, and stay as close to the site as you possible can, you will get strength and support from the people here and THEIR journeys.

Best to you,

Ellen

Wow.  That was harsh.  Tough love, yes.  But if you beat 'em to death you can't really save 'em.

I hear what you're saying' though.

And there I was, trying to say that by going "turnip truck unbeliever."  See how muted I've become after 10 years of this.  🙂

"Less is more"

- Mies van der Rohe

Daniela2016

I don't agree with pongaselo‌.  Personally I believe in positive reinforcement and I would ask Cmsullivan‌: what did you do right when you first quit?  And what changed when you quit quitting?  Thinking about it, knowing you can do it, knowing the worse it over in a couple of weeks, after which you find yourself a free person, will help you get back at the point you were before you quit quitting.  The negative self-talk won't help, as a matter of fact, did I see a blog about self-talking today, posted by Dale? Oh, here:

12 Things You Should Never to Say to Yourself | SparkPeople 

JustSharon

That's just down right mean!