Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lois2

Quitters in Their 50's

Still smoke free, we have a strong quit going on,
Tags (1)
1,125 Replies
judysausalito

Started this 4 days ago-am 65 and tired of coughing. The wierd thing is, I cannot smoke unless I'm drinking something sweet. Does anyone else have this trigger? I cannot stand the taste or feel of smoking by itself. You'd think that would make quitting easy, but now I have to give up coffee, tea, juice etc. Water, anyone? My doctor insists I quit, as does my family as do I My quit date is Jan. 31 My brother in law quit by using the patch. I confess, I'm fine when wearing it, but will take it off when I get home from work, so I can have a root beer and a smoke. How crazy is that?

0 Kudos
detroit

Hi ,

I turned 60 in July and I am having health problems. But most of all I just want  to quit. I am going to try and stick with it.

CosmoQueen maybe you should AA as well . I have been sober from both ,drugs and liquor for 16 years. I have set my quit date for January 4, 2010. It's my soberity birthday. i am pulling for you and praying that you make it. The blackouts are serious.

Stay in the game

Detroit

0 Kudos
Susan57

Hi, I am readng the entries and you all have the best support system you can possibly want, becomeanex.org and whyquit.com, it does not get any better.

Remember years ago, there was a phone number to call? I stopped 112 days ago, the best gift I could ever give myself. I never thought I could ever stop. For the past 45 years, give or take a couple years, I smoked, making sure the cigarettes and lighter were in my bag when going out, buying cartons of cigarettes to save money, finding places to smoke, and the list goes on and on. My wish to stop smoking was very real, the date was set and smoked my last cigarette on August 31st at about 11 pm. That was it! Very tough at first, but the result is unbeatable.

I will never ever smoke again, going through Cold Turkey will never cross my path again, this I will not put myself through again. Please stop smoking for yourself and family. Much success in your quits, Cheers, Susan

0 Kudos
lois2

get pass the first month, than it is down hill,  good luck

0 Kudos
marie23

Good Morning Everyone, I hope the week starts of wonderful for us all. My parents live in the local San Bernardino Mtns. Yestersay all 3 of my children and my grandchildren and my husband and I went up for the day to play in the snow. We had so much fun temp about 50 degrees so not to cold for the little ones. First Holiday Season coming up that I don;t smoke. Really like the freedom it gave me. It was a really really nice day. It is so special when everyone can have the same day off and we get a chance to be together.  Boy oh boy am I out of shape huffing and puffing as I was dragging the sleds up the hill for my grandkids. Kind of sad really. I am going to use this as a wake up call and really commit to getting in shape. I really wan't to stay active as long as I can. I am 51 If I really get serious I know I can do this and create a better quality of life for myself now and later. Susan I love your honesty and I am insprired with your wonderful attitude I really  am interested in how you gave up your daily wine and how long it took before you became so realaxed happy and cheerful without it. I know I am dring too much beer and my belly is looking like Santa himself. and really want to feel better without it.  Hugs to all

0 Kudos
beejabee

Shoot !- I spent about an hour creating a message(took awhile because I'm not clear-headed today) and there was a problem with the network so all is lost.  Causes a person to buy a pack of cigarettes. 

Anyway (41 hours free), my head is spinning, concentration at 0, hands shaking, BREATHING BETTER, tired.  I promised that I would involve myself with this site to keep me going.  Telling someone helps and even helps more when it's in writing - it makes you feel that you haven't lost your integrity, and your commitment has meaning. 

So far, this is the best group for me.  Every comment within this group has some statement(s) which hit home.  Therefore, I'm absolutely not unique(shoot); hence, my qutting struggles aren't unique either(shoot).  At this moment, I just need to move on - my thinking is like a broken record (50+ers know what this means) - "My head is spinning, my head is spinning..."  So what!  It's probably some physical change that is pushing out all the nicotine.  Gotta' be a positive reaction - what could be negative about quitting.  Anyway - see ya.

0 Kudos
nannynyc

i to have been smoking for 37 years. I now have COPD and i know i have to stop smoking. I got Chantix from my Dr. but haven't started taking it. Guess i'm afraid when i do start i won't be able to stick to it.  just plain scared period!

0 Kudos
sandys

Hello,

Still not smoking day 42, tried many times, wellbutrin really is helping me, I actually feel like life may be worth living without a cigarette.

0 Kudos
deb2

hi everyone, this is my 20th day. i have been a smoker 40 years. i quit this time cold turkey. i ask for help from the lord an he is helping me with it. i have been doing great with my quit. the craveings are not so much now an doing great. so i hope is going well with everyone else whos is quiting.  debra

0 Kudos
lois2

sound like you had fun marie with the kids, i will be glade to get back to my self, i know i need to walk, my ankle hurts, al the time.   Susan you walk  a lot don't you? hugs

0 Kudos