cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

12Finally34

Quit Date

I reread suggestions when to pick a quit date.  I am on vacation till September.  My quit date is 7/25.  Am I setting myself up for failure?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
stAn3

How far out the quit date is doesn't matter as much as planning. Do a lot of reading on nicotine addiction and what to expect once you quit. Get yourself in a good place emotionally and you will succeed come quit day. 

0 Kudos
prjimm01

7/25 is the perfect quit date!  Welcome!  Jump on in, the water is fine!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Only you can see inside yourself about your motivation, willingness etc. and therefor whether you are setting yourself up. Because smoking is an addiction, most quitters feel some anxiety about quitting--I did for sure.

But I chose my quit date because I'd made up my mind to quit--to give it my all(which I was not sure was enough at the time). My specific date came out of the math based on how many butts I had left in the carton(this is not the right or wrong way to decide, just my figuring). I knew when I read online advice suggesting to set the date not too far out, what was being said was: 'don't kid yourself about quitting by putting it so far out that it is more about delay than decision.' That made sense to me. 

A few questions for you: what are your reasons for quitting, and how do you feel about quitting? Are you dreading it? Are you growing more confident? 

12Finally34

Hi Maryfreecigarettes.

Questions made me think and here is my responses

The reason I want to quit because I have beginning stage of emphysema.

In the beginning sad and afraid about quitting.  

I am dreading my quit date because I am having to many excuses.

I am growing confident because I don't feel alone, I am washing my brain with different perspectives about giving up something that is killing me.  Correction, Carr encourage us not to look at it as a sacrifice.  

The quit date will have me going from theory to application.  One thing I am not doing is praying along with blogging everyone.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Congrats and thank you for sharing... suggestions all the above and personally please take what helps and leave the rest... i pray using the serenity prayer.... God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, Courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to know the difference... also you have your phone to come to this site and blog blog blog BEFORE you take that first PUFF over you...great job loving yourself and CHOOSING for yourself life NOT and early death from nicotine slow poison...keep on keeping on WE WILL STAY QUIT TOGETHER NO MATTER WHAT... yahooooooo