cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jkcw27

Today is my quit date

Jump to solution

I have been preparing for this with this site for three weeks. I have an art therapy journal activity book to help process during cravings. Learned about nicotine and addiction. Went through the free no smoking course I have on here. Looking for suggestions. Feeling weird and trying not to overthink. 

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

@jkcw27 Welcome to the Ex. and congrats on the first day of your journey.  It's great to see that you've used the Ex and have done the education and preparation that you found here.

It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addiction to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.  Walking is a great way to refocus your thinking and to get an added boost of dopamine lost from quitting.

What tools are you using?  Are you using an aid to quit?   Quitters have they're favorites.  I used Sour Patch Kids and chewing on straws, but there are lots of options.

You just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Let us know how your first day goes and anyway we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

View solution in original post

Giulia

Wow.  You've done a lot of good prep work.  Feeling weird is par for the course.  You're changing your daily behavior.  That's a BIG DEAL.  I'm guessing that you smoked or vaped, or I don't know your history, but - start painting.  You have an art therapy journal activity book.  USE it. Embrace it.  Focus on it!  Think out of the box.   Draw a craving.  Create a new art book about "what cravings look like.."  You know?  Just - when I quit, my mind was on FIRE with cravings.  I wrote more at that period of time than I have since.  USE the weirdness, be creative.  Overthink, why not?  Then write it down or paint it or go out and exercise the overthinking away.  Or pray...  There are endless possibilities of our imaginative powers to turn our weird feelings into powerful joy.  Just thinking out loud here.  And wishing you success on this very difficult journey.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Barbscloud

@jkcw27 Welcome to the Ex. and congrats on the first day of your journey.  It's great to see that you've used the Ex and have done the education and preparation that you found here.

It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addiction to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.  Walking is a great way to refocus your thinking and to get an added boost of dopamine lost from quitting.

What tools are you using?  Are you using an aid to quit?   Quitters have they're favorites.  I used Sour Patch Kids and chewing on straws, but there are lots of options.

You just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Let us know how your first day goes and anyway we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

SuzyQ411

@jkcw27 

Great news that today is your quit day!

The sure-fire way to become an established non-smoker is to

NEVER EVER take another drag from a cigarette.

Hard yes, BUT it's doable!

no smoking.heart. 8.1.22.jpg

NOT ONE PUFF EVER~

NO MATTER WHAT!!

❤️ 

~~(Suzy, Day # 401)

biscuit9

Cheering you on to victory.  You have chosen wisely and remind yourself "I don't do that anymore", I no longer choose self-harm, say it out loud even.  When the nicotine tries to pull you back in, use your distractions and choose the healthy thing.   You have chosen to put your health FIRST, now stay true to that choice and I hope you can come on here and say you didn't smoke today.  Quit day 293.

maryfreecig

Keep working your quit just one day at a time, one hour if need be. 

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.png316218458_463466149244455_7344345187593041005_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpgaddiction is.jpg

Giulia

Wow.  You've done a lot of good prep work.  Feeling weird is par for the course.  You're changing your daily behavior.  That's a BIG DEAL.  I'm guessing that you smoked or vaped, or I don't know your history, but - start painting.  You have an art therapy journal activity book.  USE it. Embrace it.  Focus on it!  Think out of the box.   Draw a craving.  Create a new art book about "what cravings look like.."  You know?  Just - when I quit, my mind was on FIRE with cravings.  I wrote more at that period of time than I have since.  USE the weirdness, be creative.  Overthink, why not?  Then write it down or paint it or go out and exercise the overthinking away.  Or pray...  There are endless possibilities of our imaginative powers to turn our weird feelings into powerful joy.  Just thinking out loud here.  And wishing you success on this very difficult journey.

Barbscloud

@jkcw27   We're here for you and are anxious to hear how you're doing.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

You did your homework, so great start.  Takes 3 days to rid the body of nicotine, as you know.  Your mind is going to keep looking for it's hit of nicotine, so the challenge is to redirect those thoughts to do a healthy thing.....blow through a straw, jounaling is good, hard candy, meditate, get up and walk, but get through the craving.  The adjustment to a smokefree life takes a little time, because nicotine wants it way.  You have been lead by nicotine, and now you are in charge.  Recognize the crave, and use your tools.  

0 Kudos