cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Margaretd

Question

I recently read somewhere on the ex that "millions have COPD and don't know it."  Here's my question; if there is no cure for COPD and no medication that will stop it or minimize the effects, what is the purpose of getting tested before symptoms?  Or if someone has some symptoms, can medication or treatment lessen its effect?

Thank you 

12 Replies
Maki

It is a question my own circle of smoking friends have asked , including myself .

What is the point of early diagnosis if it can't be reversed or cured ? 

Be sure to ask these things of your doctor . They are the most knowledgeable and can give you the best answer pertaining to your circumstance.

I can only share my experience and that may be totally different than others . 

My understanding is treatment CAN slow the progression of COPD . To me thats worth treatment .

It is my understanding that every person is different and the rate of progression for each person will be different .

My thoughts to my particular diagnosis were that if we can keep it at a snails pace then lets do our very best collaboratively to do that . 

Knowing early on imo would be a very good thing for treament. 

There is so much more advancement in treatment today that was not available years ago . Who knows what the years ahead will bring . Perhaps there will be a cure ! 

I'm going to take the best possible care of me now should that day come .

We all need to do that anyway . It's important . We have family and friends who love us. It's important to them as well . 

I have a COPD and asthma overlap .   My issues are more asthma related than copd according to my most recent PFT and pulmonologist accessment . The inhalers make breathing easier . I can do more of the things I love to do because of those treatments .

The information obtained by the doctors earlier on by PFT testing and scans were what helped them get the most accurate diagnosis and come up with the best possible treatment plan for my particular diagnosis .

Continued care and yearly PFTs helps monitor the progression so if need be medications can be adjusted , other treatment can be implemented etc. Excersise I'm learning is very mportant . 

Medicines can do lots , doctors can do lots ,  but so can knowledge , positive attitude , activity and being proactive in our own care.  It takes teamwork . 

Denial is the hardest thing we face when we quit smoking .  I also denied smoking was causing my breathing issues. 

Fear , our biggest enemy . 

My suggestion is any concerns or any questions always talk with your medical team .  They are the professionals . You and they know you best . 

Thank you so much for posting this question . 

RoseH

I have COPD and I take two inhalers every day...  My lungs are clear and sound good according to my doctor.  You and I can LIVE a GOOD life with COPD, as long as we don’t pick up you know what!  I probably smoked longer than you and so if I can feel so much better, your chances are excellent, in my humble opinion...  hang in there and never give up your quit!  Rosemary