cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mytime83

New To This

Jump to solution

Hey everyone. My name is Christina. I have been smoking for a lot of years.  30 to be exact.  Started off slow with just one here or there.  My parents were forever on my case about itand tried everything to get me to quit when I was a teen. I thought like any teen, that they were being "fun suckers."

Guys,I write this with tears in my eyes tonight. I need help. I can't do this on my own and I'm scared. I'm terrified of death.  Specifically cancer related death. I don't want my children to watch me go out like that.  I lost my Dad to small cell cancer in 2010. And today, my Mom went to the doctor and they informed her they are pretty sure she's got cancer. And if she does, they are hoping against hope that they've caught it in time. 

Sitting on my bed, 4 hours away from home and away from everything I've ever known, talking to my Mom,I realized "Here we go again". It is ripping me apart. I can't describe what I feel right now. But I know I never want my children to have this kind of heartache if I can do something to stop it.  I need advice, I need guidance, I need a friend. Everyone I know smokes.  My little sister is trying to quit too,we both been trying for quite some time, but today just pushed us both over the edge.  What are some tips and tricks?? And please don't tell me "Just throw them out". I've done that 3 times and it did NOT work for me.  Someone give me advice I can actually use. Please help. 

Christina
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Barbscloud

@Mytime83 Welcome to the Ex.  It takes work, but it can be done.   I smoked for 50 years and celebrate 4 years shortly.   What did I do differently this time?   I used aids in the past, but never did the work that's needed to be successful.   I found the Ex a week before my quit date, and learned about nicotine addiction and created a quit plan.  With these two steps and the support from fellow quitters, I finally became and Ex. 

This link will provide the information you need to be successful.   What tools you'll use, what new associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

In addition to all of the above, I would suggest that you do get cigarettes out of the house. It's just too tempting and gives you excuse to smoke.

Taking the Daily Pledge also helps to keep you on  track one day at a time.

We're here to support you. Pick a quit date and begin your journey.

Barb

View solution in original post

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Mytime83 You're making the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on You've got this! It took me 40 years of smoking and at least a half dozen failed attempts at trying to quit before finally quitting BUT it took finding out that I have copd that's what scared me into finally wising up! I found this community that helped me through some pretty horrid cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to where I am today which is over 7 and a half years of being quit, stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're here for you! 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Barbscloud

@Mytime83 Welcome to the Ex.  It takes work, but it can be done.   I smoked for 50 years and celebrate 4 years shortly.   What did I do differently this time?   I used aids in the past, but never did the work that's needed to be successful.   I found the Ex a week before my quit date, and learned about nicotine addiction and created a quit plan.  With these two steps and the support from fellow quitters, I finally became and Ex. 

This link will provide the information you need to be successful.   What tools you'll use, what new associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

In addition to all of the above, I would suggest that you do get cigarettes out of the house. It's just too tempting and gives you excuse to smoke.

Taking the Daily Pledge also helps to keep you on  track one day at a time.

We're here to support you. Pick a quit date and begin your journey.

Barb

Mytime83

Thank you so much! I will definitely check that link out.  Anything that could possibly help with Cravings and triggers is more than welcome. I feel like I'm losing my mind. By this point in my morning,I would have already had 4-5 cigarettes smoked. And I did cave and had 1. Immediately felt like I already failed. And then I picked myself back up and just reminded myself why I'm doing this.  Did you wake up with a horrible cough in the morning when you were at the beginning of quitting? I'm not sure what that's about, but I've had a horrible cough the last two days. My quit date is about a week from now so I'm getting a head start and smoking less and less and then on my quit date I'm getting rid of all cigarettes and lighters and I'm trying to change my routine like adding exercise and cleaning routines etc to replace the time I generally use for smoking. When I have a craving I'm working on finding something to task myself with in place of smoking.  So far so good on that part with the exception of the one cigarette. Just keep hoping I'm strong enough to get through it.  

Christina
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Mytime83 You're making the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on You've got this! It took me 40 years of smoking and at least a half dozen failed attempts at trying to quit before finally quitting BUT it took finding out that I have copd that's what scared me into finally wising up! I found this community that helped me through some pretty horrid cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to get to where I am today which is over 7 and a half years of being quit, stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're here for you! 

Mytime83

Wow...7 years?! I wanna get there!! 😫  I wanna get even further. I'm actually in the middle of fighting a craving at this very moment and it's so strong.  I never thought anything could have such control over me like this.  So I'm just fighting to take that control back for myself.  It's a work in progress for sure.  

Christina
Barbscloud

@Mytime83 I did cut down for a week on a strict schedule in addition to some aids and finding the Ex prior to my quit.  Cutting down worked for me, but it doesn't work for everyone because you keep reintroducing nicotine into your body.   

You're date isn't here yet, so not reason to feel like you failed.   Don't beat yourself up when you're in the preparation stage.   

Get ready for your quit date on 2/18/22-2/20/22 - EX Community  You may have received this from Mark the administrator of the site.  Everything you need to know is addressed here including crave busters. Keeping busy is a great way to work through cravings.  And, if able, walking has worked for many of us.   Just a short walk is a great way to refocus and replace some lost dopamine form quitting. 

Coughing is normal for many people when they quit.  The cilia in your lungs are becoming active again, so drink lots of water. 

Seven years is a fabulous success, but don't think too far into the future.  It can be overwhelming. For now, it's one day at a time.

Stay close while you prepare.  

Barb

Mytime83

Wow...I just realized something...I was looking at my quit date and I set it as my oldest son's 20th birthday.  I gotta tell him that. That was completely unintentional. 

Christina
Barbscloud

@Mytime83 You're profile says March 5th.  Is that correct?   That's my birthday also.

Barb

Mytime83

No... not sure why it says that...I thought I set it for Feb.18th. 

Christina
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Mytime83 If you click on Return to My Ex Plan on the top right of the home screen a green box will come up with your quit date.  If you click on the pencil icon, you can change your date.

Barb