cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Alyssa07_11

New to this site and hoping to quit for good!

Hello everyone!! I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas! I have chosen to join today. My quit day is going to be January 4th, 2022. Can anyone give me advice. I am quite young and I should have never started. I am 16 and i started at 14. Since I am underage i am unable to get any medications to help me through quitting. 

I have been vaping for 2 years and been on and off cigarettes. It has began to effect me school wise this year and I don’t wish for it to effect my chances for a good collage. I had a vape on me at school and the school choose to search me. Since this is my first time having anything on me I have a high chance of getting into amazing collages still. I just wish to quit before it begins to effect my chances greatly.

I attempted quitting before but I ended up starting again. My family has huge issues with health conditions including lung cancer and many other lung diseases due to smoking. It’s very common for people in my family who smoke to get lung and heart diseases. I wish to quit to decrease my likelihood of gaining these problems. 

I have very little support from my parents and friends on quitting. I came to this site in hope to find help on quitting. 

I know i’m younger but i have the same goal as everyone here and i wish to gain support. Anyone can get addicted. I just wish to gain help on ending this battle with addiction.

If anyone has tips or can help me with some of my questions can you please private message me or comment. 🙂

I am praying for anyone who is attempting to quit!! We are all in this together! ❤️ 

6 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Alyssa07_11 I hope you had a good Christmas🎄please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom and and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on You've got this! When your quit arrives on the 4th of January keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for Day WON with many more to come, I'm not very tech savvy so I'm going to mention Nancy @YoungAtHeart and she'll do a welcome with links for you stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're here for you! 

aae0c73f9b0154ea528c593dd80387be~2.jpg

YoungAtHeart

(thanks for the heads up, @MarilynH )

Welcome to our community, @Alyssa07_11!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping and smoking.  I am thrilled to hear you are quitting at such a young age!  It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you!  You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/I-Quit-Smoking-and-Vaping/ba-p/1225904. If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . which can be found online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all),, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Alyssa07_11

Thank you so much @MarilynH and @YoungAtHeart. You have no clue how thankful i am for the support and tips to help me get through this!

YoungAtHeart

@Alyssa07_11 Be sure to stay close, read,  prepare, plan and ask questions when you have them.  We've got your back!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Alyssa07_11 how are you?

Also I wanted to be sure you also knew about our other program specifically for teens like you https://truthinitiative.org/thisisquitting 

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Alyssa07_11 How are you? Any progress on your quit journey?

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos