cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

joy14

New, Need Help Please :)

Help me start? I am so overwhelmed and confused. 

I have made a decision to stop smoking again. I stopped before, for about 3 yrs, but took it up again unfortuneatly due to

too many stressors in my life at that time. Now, at this point, I have been smoking again for 6 yrs. I am 62 years old and

started smoking when I was about 18-19 yrs old.

I have been reading through this site since early this morning and it seems like a wonderful place. So much information, I think I got overly excited and read so much that I am just so confused now where/when to start.

Any advice would be welcome a so appreciated. I really want to do this. 

Do I quit now. Wait 2 weeks until I read everything recommended? Or .....?

Help!!??

Joy

23 Replies
TurboRose

Hi joy14‌ and welcome to the community. You've received excellent advice and articles to read.

Finding the Mayo clinic quit plan PDF helped me and led to my finding this community which is an immense source of support. Before I quit, I spent quite a bit of time doing the exercises in order to get to know myself and my smoking pattern. Learning about addiction was a plus. It helped me to realize the struggle is real and doesn't reflect my character, willpower, willingness or level of commitment. I recognized my smoking pattern which helped because when I wanted to smoke I was able to Stop, Think about what triggered me (e.g. I always smoked when I took the dog out, before I left the house because I didn't smoke in my car and I usually smoked once I reached my destination because I hadn't smoked on the way) and Push through the craving. I used anti-depressants to assist. I took them 3 months prior to quitting and for the first 3 months of my quit. That's what worked for me.

Find what works for you. Be honest with yourself about your challenges (triggers) and know there's a community here that offers a kick in the butt when you need it, a shoulder to cry on, an "ear to listen" and the best cheerleaders on the planet. This community embraces everyone no matter how long their quit is (1 hour or 20 years) or how many times they've relapsed. Stay with us and stay connected. 

TurboRose 337 DOF

Hi!  I can't add too much that has already been said.  I just wanted to welcome you!

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Just keep it simple...

Stop Smoking....

Read..........learn...........absorb.....change...

We are ALL here to take you by the hand.....

Welcome...........if WE can YOU can.

Miles of Smiles.....

missellen

Hi Joy, welcome to Ex!  I can't add anything that the much wiser quitters above have stated, but I will say this site has been instrumental in my quit.  I've quit and relapsed so many times, it's ridiculous, but I'm not 60 DOF and that is largely due to being here, being supported, reading the material, creating the quit plan, reading some more and being supported some more.  It really is a remarkable place. 

We're here for you--someone really is available at almost every time of a day.  If  you get in a jam, need to vent, have a question, etc., just create a blog with "Help" in the title and someone will pop up to help out. Best of luck on your journey.

--Ellen