cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

angela30

Need to quit

I so need to quit man, or woman, whoever I am speaking with...lol
I picked up my first cig when I was ten and now I am going on 28, I still look good, but what about later on, wrinkles and crap like that..ahhhhh..I don't even want to think about that right now, that totally sux....ahhhhh help...please....help..

Angela
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
andie-brock

I can relate I am 22 and started at 23. I used to work with a lady who looked like a leather handbag in the face and you could tell she was probably a really beautiful person when she was young but she smokes 2 packs a day and ewww yeah it wasn't cool. I want to look good as long as I can with out botox so.... I know you can do it girl~ Good luck with everything!
0 Kudos
barb-willson

Hi! Look, I'm 61 & have not smoked since 1981. I'm here to support someone's effort to kick the habit. Can I help?
I started smoking at the age of 17 & stopped at the age of 34. As I approached 51 (multiples of 17, see?), I suggested to my husband & son, "Maybe I'll pick up the habit again until I'm 68!" They were horrified that I'd even say it. I was kidding, but they were scared of the possibility. Today when I saw the TV ad for Becomeanex.org, I thought about how hard it was all those years ago to rebuild my life after the habit had me.
In the first year after quitting, I gained a lot of weight, & I couldn't even socialize with my friends because I was so programmed about when to light up. It took me 5 years to feel that I was pretty much free of the grip.
Looking back, I can promise you that the most important thing about stopping smoking is to understand that everything is temporary.
EVERYTHING.
The course of a river changes over time.
The height of Mt. Everest will change over time.
Every love affair cools in time; every grudge mellows in time.
The feeling of needing a smoke fades in time.
So, postpone picking up that cigarette -- 5 minutes at a time if you have to.
Good luck!
0 Kudos
sunny3

I wish I had thought about how I would look in 20 years when I was your age. I am 47 and have smoked for 30 years. I find that as I get older, the little things about my looks really freak me out - there is enough that mother nature does (gray hair, sagging skin, age spots) without adding to the harm of smoking. The thing that really bugs me now are the wrinkles around my mouth from sucking on cigarettes for so many years - and I have tried every product on the market to try to make them less noticable. And, I'm starting to sound like Marge Simpson's sister. Even if I am successful with quitting, those scars (and wrinkles ARE scars) will always be there to remind me of this horrid habit. In a way vanity has been driving me, both negaively and positively- because I saw so many people gain a significant amount of weight while trying to quit, I used it as an excuse not to - I keep myself in good shape and think I look pretty good for my age. Now I'm hating more and more the way smoking is making me look...(vanity again) - so I'm trying to choose the lesser of two evils. I can always lose the weight, but the wrinkles and lung damage, well those won't go away so easily. Besides, it's hard to look hot with an oxygen tube hanging from your face. So Angela, we can do this and if you can do this now, before the real damage is done, you'll be able to keep that beautiful face for the rest of your long life.
0 Kudos
barb-willson

Sunny, I am sure that the moment you stopped encircling your beautiful face with grimy smoke, your body began to heal itself from the effects of smoking.

No more self-administered grime landing on your skin will begin to make you look younger.
No more self-administered poison coursing through your veins will begin to make you look younger.
No more worrying about what cigarette-related diseases are taking a toehold in your system will make you more relaxed and... you guessed it.. begin to make you look younger!

Barb
0 Kudos