cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JuliePatricia

I Need To Change my Quit Date

My quit date is in 10 days. We can all agree that's close. Yet Ive  done absolutely nothing to support. I have chronic pain, but I'm about to start pain managment.  I have surgery coming up too. I've decided for many reasons, I need a break from my daughter, as the relationship isn't healthy right now. I need to choose a different quit date. I'm just not ready. Has anyone else done this?         

0 Kudos
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome o our community!

There is NEVER a better time to quit smoking than ASAP.  If you quit before your surgery, your recovery will be better and faster.  That being said, this is your quit and you are the best judge of your readiness to tackle it.  How about you do some of the reading and prep work and then decide? 

An important first step is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Let me know if you decide to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/games. The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the homepage.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JuliePatricia

Thank you, I bought that book last week. Now I need to actually read it.

Maki

Smoking will not help any of the things you mention . It doesn't help relationships , it slows the healing process , it doesn't help pain whatsoever . Do you think you might be procrastinating out of fear of the unknown , or scared , or making excuses ? People say educate yourself , I don't personally believe that's necessary to quit. I think if you want to quit right now , you can , and if you don't want to , you will find excuses . 

You have so many reasons to quit , I hope you are still reading and will change your mind . You have support here whether you have surgery , chronic illness or disharmony within family . No one understands more that one smoker to another . Reach out , we are here for you , if you don't you may leave it too late but I understand the decision has to be yours . No better time to quit than when all this is going on quite frankly ..

Giulia

In answer to your question, yes, sure lots of people have chosen different quit dates.  And that's fine.  What becomes not fine is when the quit date keeps being changed time and time again.  Then it becomes excuseville.

In 10 days you can do a whole lot to get your head in gear for quitting.  But I sense you don't want to.  If you have surgery coming up - this could be the perfect time to quit.  But OK, you don't want to quit now.  And you are (in my opinion) finding all sorts of reasons not to quit on your quit date, and that's okay.  I get it.  As a smoking addict I have become very aware of every reason I said it wasn't the right time and every reason I said "just one" would be okay.   But do understand that you came here to quit.  And the quitting process is what  you're going to have to go through whatever time you choose to set your quit date.  So it behooves you to really understand and be willing to go through the process.

But I am totally confused going back to your last blog.  You said you changed your quit date to 2/4.  Now you say it's  10 days away.  You wrote this on Jan. 18th.. so the new date is Jan. 24th?   I don't know when you quit date is, but whenever you've chosen to finally set it, let it be in stone.  It will make it a whole lot easier for you.  This is something that takes 110 percent commitment.  

elvan

You have gotten great advice here. I suffer from severe chronic pain & for a very long time l said, “If l could just get this pain under control, l KNOW l could quit.” That was not true, smoking did not relieve my pain, it distracted me for a short while. When you are having surgery, smoking retards your healing. I quit smoking almost 7 years ago, l broke my ankle on Christmas Day & the ortho doc said that because I HAD smoked, it would take longer for my fracture(s) to heal. That was NOT encouraging! What WAS encouraging & continues to be after almost seven years was this site. The support & education l got from here made all the difference in the world to me & to my quit. It DOES get easier, I promise.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  This is your journey, so do what works best for you.  Use the time to educate yourself and create a plan.  We're here to support you.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Quitting for surgery is good as well JuliePatricia

mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Giulia

Hey Julie, so have you set a new quit date?  Have you given some thought to the responses here or the things you've read in other areas of the site...?    Have we helped at all in answering your question?

JuliePatricia

Oh yes I have found lots of valuable information here. And all of you have been a tremendous support. I have been responding to everyone. I think, however, I'm responding in the wrong areas so I think many of our group members aren't seeing my responses and therefore thinking I haven't responded to them. Oh darn it! I'm trying to figure out this site. But there is a serious learning curve between me and all things technology. I'm so frustrated I hope I get the hang of it soon, before I pull all my hair out!!!!