cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Abel1005

My first post. Struggling hard to quit

Hi everyone, I just joined this community earlier this month and have been loving the daily texts. I made it to 8 days then stupidly bought a disposable vape this past Friday night. I was so guilt ridden and ashamed that I tossed it out the next day. But then two days later I bought another. Threw it away at the end of the day, only to buy another the following day. Today I bought one in the morning, threw it away this afternoon determined to quit again, only to buy ANOTHER this evening, the same day! I bought two in the same day and have spent over 140 dollars this week alone because I keep dumping it then buying one when the cravings get too strong. This is ridiculous!!! I’m at my wits end and that’s what motivated me to make my first post. It’s like everytime I throw it out I’m determined to quit but then when the strong cravings arise I fold like a picnic table. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought. But I’m not quitting on quitting. Any support or advice would be appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Social12

Also, are you using the "Daily Pledge"? I am going to do that BIG time!!

Barbscloud

@Abel1005 Welcome to the Ex.  Glad you posted.  Did you prepare for your quit?  If not, you might take a step back.   It's important to understand this addiction and have a plan in place that addresses tools you'll use, how to cope with cravings and creating new associations to replace vaping. 

I never did this in the past and was never successful after many attempts and smoking for 50 years. .  When I found the Ex I finally learned how to quit and how invaluable support is.  So stay close to the site and use the support that's available here.  It can make all the difference for successful quit. 

Doing this work up front will make the difference.  This link has some great information to get you started. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

And join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

We're here for you, so reach out any time we can help.  Whatever you don't give up.  This takes work and you're proving you want this

Stay busy and stay close.  You can do this!

Barb

Abel1005

Hi @Barbscloud thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I am now starting to educate myself and trying to learn more about this addiction, you are absolutely right that should be my focus right now. I almost had one full day today but gave in at the end of the day…This is a lot harder than I thought but you are right I can absolutely do this. I’m so close I can feel it. I’ll start participating on this site more and using its resources. It’s very reassuring to hear that using this site you were able to quit a 50 year habit, that is so inspiring! Starting over again tomorrow but going to try to armor myself up with as much knowledge and support here as I can. Thanks!!

Abel1005

Yes I am using that! But keep failing. Tomorrow is another day to try. We got this.

Social12

If you are starting over today, we can start together. I should be done with this last one by tonight. So I'm not sure if today is my quit date or tomorrow.  Either way, it is semantics. The point is to be DONE spending all this money, time and our health!!  Good luck.

Barbscloud

@Abel1005 & @Social12 Some quitters like having a quit buddy.  You can support each other and celebrate together.

Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Social12

Hey there, how are you doing?  I have been struggling too. I keep resetting my quit date because I have one more ecig I've been using. I have reset my new quit date for tomorrow.  You can be my quit buddy if you'd like!!

Barbscloud

Hi @Social12 If you want to address someone in particular so they see your post, enter an @ sign and their name. The @ only will bring a drop down menu with posters on this thread.   In this case @Abel1005 .

Hang in there.  Don't give up!

Barb

Where do I put the @and their name?

0 Kudos

In your post to someone else. Is that what you mean?   I'm  putting your name in this post so you see it. 

@Social12 

0 Kudos